Durable Headphones?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Hootbot, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Hootbot

Hootbot New Member

Hello, I have an entire drawer full of broken headphones.

So I've decided to ask some headphone experts, on a headphone forum, which exists to my surprise.

Because of my history of rubbish headphones I was going to go all out and buy a pair of headphones which are made by Califone, a company that makes audio equipment for public schools and lunatic asylums, hopefully that would be the ultimate in durability. They also have a very long chord, probably for students to plug into a central console from a distance or something. This is good because I like to pace back and forth and think while listing to music, but I don't want to disturb the family. They also come with an antibacterial bag to prevent head lice spreading which has a name tag on it, which is hysterically funny in my mind.

In any event I thought I would ask experts before buying.

Califone International: Headphones (Wired)

Here is a link I'm not sure which ones I really want exactly or if I should buy from them. They're all pretty cheap, really.

thankyou

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Durable Headphones

Greetings Hootbot. Welcome to the forum.

We offer a range of educational headphones for schools that may be suitable.

The link to Califone is interesting - it's a new manufacturer to me. The headphones do indeed look sturdy and suitable for the purpose. It would be interesting to hear if they actually sound any good. In my experience 'educational' headphones are designed around durability, rather than sound quality.

Out of interest, which headphones have broken on you previously?

Have you thought about DJ headphones? Many of these headphones are designed for heavy duty use by a DJ every day, so are built to last and the sound quality is often excellent. Obviously they are not the cheapest headphones around, but they are designed to have a long life and stand up to rough treatment.

The Sennheiser HD25-SP II and Sennheiser HD25 II are particularly durable headphones, with every component being replaceable. Many of the AKG range of studio headphones have very well made replaceable cabling (the most likely component to fail).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  3. Hootbot

Hootbot New Member

Durable Headphones

Thanks for your response, I didn't originally notice this was a UK website, if you don't live in North America you definitely wouldn't have heard of Califone. Califone is a company that has been making sound equipment for the US and Canadian public school system since the 1940s they are most notable for their line of portable school record players, I have one of these and, considering it has only one speaker, is about the size of a medium suitcase, and was made to play sounds for film strips, sounds amazing. It's built like a safe which is what motivated me to look them up when I wanted some durable earphones

Most of the headphones I've had were cheap no-name ones, but I have had a pair of phillips earbuds that the speaker fell out of, a pair of "ATA" headphones that the cord ripped out of, and a pair of headphones that you get free on Air Canada flights there's nothing wrong with these other than they have terrible audio quality and are very quiet. I currently have some Sony earbuds but they refuse to stay in my ears and tangle up all the time.

Most of the time I use headphones to listen to online videos and watch movies, Sound quality isn't the most important thing to me as long as they sound alright. They don't need to be audiophile quality. The DJ headphones seem far to large for me to fit in my computer bag. I don't use Headphones outside of the house very often but I would like to be able to take them with me on trips.

4. ohiostate330

ohiostate330 New Member

Go with Audio Technica

Honestly, I believe Audio Technica offers the greatest durability compared to other name brand high end headphones. They are very well engineered, and built to handle a beating as they are made for professional and personal use. I have owned many pairs of Audio Technica; you can't go wrong, and you won't be disappointed. I hope I was able to help.

5. Shaun-HiFi

Durable in-ear headphones

Just noticed that this thread doesn't mention anything about durable in-ear headphones.

By far the most likely component to break on a pair of in-ear headphones is the cabling. Often the break happens at the jack plug - due not doubt to the constant flex the cable gets.

For this reason I'd recommend doing some research on the quality of cabling, and if possible choose a pair of earphones with replaceable cables (although these are often the top end models).

Earphones with particularly good quality cabling are made by Westone and Phonak. Westone also have some higher end models with replaceable cables.

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro and Triple.fi 10 Pro series earphones started the trend of replaceable cabling. Shure have just launched the SE425 and SE525 that come fitted with kevlar coated, replaceable cables. As previously mentioned some Westone earphones have replaceable cables.

6. Shaun-HiFi

Indestructible headphones

We've just taken on the German Maestro range of headphones including the GMP 8.35 D and 8.300 D, which are billed as being "almost indestructible".

They are very sturdily built, with steel headbands and ear cups made from a robust PU material that can be wiped clean easily. These headphones are built for maximum durability.

These German Maestro headphones are the toughest we have ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011
  7. matt@fakeheadphones

matt@fakeheadphones New Member

over the 100+ headphones I've owned over the past 5 years AKG have always seemed to be the most solid.

8. Shaun-HiFi

Most durable headphones on the planet?

We think we've found the most durable headphones on the planet.

The GermanMaestro GMP 8.35D is without doubt the toughest headphone we have come across.

This Youtube video of scratch DJ JFB running them over with a car proves it:

MOST INDESTRUCTIBLE HEADPHONES ON THE PLANET? - YouTube

9. enjoyheadphone

enjoyheadphone New Member

Some time ago has been using AKG brand.

10. Holders80

Holders80 New Member

Well, I can recommend you NOT to get the Beats by Dre. For some reason whenever my headphones start to fail, it's always the left ear. All in all, none of them lasted very long but I don't know if it's just a problem with me and the way I use my equipment or with the equipment itself.

11. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

You're always going to be safe going for a well built Studio Headphone, they are built to last!

Studio Headphones

12. skylight22

skylight22 New Member

Not bad idea, thx!

13. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member