E30 or Audio-Technica ATH-CKS55

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Nikel, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Nikel

Nikel New Member

Hi

I'm just about to order one of these two. I've read some good things about the E30, but do you think the Audio-Technica are better?

I usually listen to rock and indie music.

Thanks

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I would get the SoundMAGIC as they are less bassy and I prefer the fit. If you prefer cable down and a bassier sound then you might feel that the AT is the one for you. It is hard to say as they are not radically different and both are good for their price. Sorry I don't think that was much help. If you like cable down you should really compare the ATH-CKS55 with this -

SoundMAGIC E10 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones Black & Red
    £34.99

3. Nikel

Nikel New Member

If it less bassy, then I'll go for the E30.

Thank you for your advice.

4. Nikel

Nikel New Member

Well, I just got from you the E30. So I have one question. Does it need burn-in time to get the best sound?.

Thanks

5. RobinHiFi

The E30 may change a little as the driver beds in but it is not an extreme change - I think this is an earphone you can burn in whilst listening without worrying too much - Hope you really enjoy them!:D

6. Nikel

Nikel New Member

One more (sorry). I have read that the sound (specially with the bass) can change depending on the ear tips used. Is it true? any suggestions?

Thanks again.

7. RobinHiFi

Yes this is very true. The worse the seal that you get the more bass (and volume) that you lose. This means that the level of attenuation that a tip gives also has an EQ effect. Better isolation + more bass. This is why some people alter their tips or buy better tips or swap them.

8. Nikel

Nikel New Member

So, I guess the Complys are a good upgrade from the originals. Which model for the E30?