Earphone advice please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by philberg, May 31, 2011.

1. philberg

philberg New Member

I'm looking for pair of reasonably priced i.e. under £60.00 in-ear phones which must have:
    a) A short/long cord combination i.e. supplied with adaptor and extension cord.
    b) cords to ear pieces must be symmetrical.
    c) in-line mic for use as head set useful but not essential.

My current phones are Etymotic HF-3 so that's my quality benchmark although I don't necessarily expect the above to be of this quality as I the extension cord may to some extent compromise quality.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks, Philberg

PS. I have just bought the Orange San Francisco phone and the HF3's don't work with it. Any recommendations for a compatible (wired) head set appreciated!

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Philberg

I'm afraid I have never had a go with the Orange San Francisco phone, what I can tell you is that 99% of mobile phone ready headphones are iPod/iPhone compatible. The reason for this is simple, the iPhone has the same jack setup as any standard jack socket. You can use any normal headphones with an iPhone and you will get stereo sound. If a manufacturer has chosen to go down their own individual route and wire the jack socket differently then an adaptor is the best thing you could get because there are likely to be few compatible head phones if any other than the bundled ones.

You are correct to assume that the fashion of late is to remove anything which may degrade the performance of headphone cabling. Component based in line physical volumes have virtually disappeared and the trend for two part cables seems to have dwindled too.

The a) part of the advise is the most difficult bit as I cannot recommend an earphone which has this. Maybe if you let me know the reason for the split cable I could suggest another way around the problem.