Earphone advice

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by skinnyfish, Jan 10, 2013.

1. skinnyfish

skinnyfish New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Im going back to school soon, I'll be in year 12. I decided I want to treat myself to some good earphones so I can drown out the awful year 9s, and do my work in peace.

My criteria includes the following:

> Bassy

> Noise cancelling

> $100 budget

> Clear/Crisp

> Durable

> In ear (nothing else will fit my ears)

I previously had a pair of Monster Turbines that I loved. They sounded great and delivered bass. But the cord at the jack broke and warranty didn't help.

I'm hoping for some earphones that can trump those and not break after a year. From my research. I've decreed that these Shure Americas | Microphones, Wireless Systems, Headphones, Earphones (Shure SE215) are the best for me. Buuuuut in reality, I know diddly squat and am just looking at freq range and reviews.

So before I lay down my hard earned dollars, I figured I'd get some advice on what I'm investing in.

Are these going to take me to another world while I drown out noisy children?

And is there a better option that can do the job better, or is cheaper?

Also as a side note: I have tips from my Monsters that fit my ears snug. If I use those, it will effect the noise cancellation? Yes?
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi skinnyfish

These would be a great choice but I will recommend a couple of others so you have something to compare:)

Shure SE215 Sound Isolating Earphones in Black (SE 215)
    £79.96 - Excellent value and as you describe, use these as a benchmark.

Audeo PFE 012 Perfect Bass Earphones in Black (PFE-012)
    £89.99 - Equally inpressive, smaller bodies but again clean and clear sounding with excellent stereo imaging and soundstage. Best detail at this price, natural bass which is conservative but not lacking.

Westone UM1 True-Fit Single-Driver Earphones (UM 1)
    £94.96 - Similar to the Shures in size and fit, sound is warm but lush and detailed at this price.

Unfortunately your Moster tips will almost certainly not fit - the Nozzle (Where the sound comes out) size is very small on the Shure and very large on the Monsters but the Shure come with excellent tips and a decent selection - If you went for something else Comply tips are available for nearly all decent earphones and are comfy as well as blocking noise really well.

Hope that helps but feel free to ask more questions.
  3. randomkid

randomkid New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Sussex, England
    Shure SE215 would be a good choice
  4. robbie

robbie New Member

Feb 4, 2013
    The Shures sounds like the best option for you, though I'm incredibly skeptical as to whether your tips would fit them.