Earphone / Portable Amp needed

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Rancid Badger, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Rancid Badger

Rancid Badger New Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Earphones first:

I've finally had enough of my Klipsch Custom 3's!
    Whilst I love the sound:
    The back keeps falling off of one of them
    The insulation pokes through the stupid fabric outer cable all over the place.
    The stupid fabric cable makes stange rubbing noises which transfer into the headphones.
    And finally, whichever idiot designed them with equally long cables - great if you keep your "generic MP3 player" slotted into your crack, but not much use for those of us who keep it in pocket!

Anyway rant over... Been looking at the Shure SE535's to replace them with or the UE Superfi 10's, but had heard that QC on UE products had gone downhill. Does anyone have any suggestions/recomendations?

Portable Amp:

I currently have a Fiio E7, which has worked admirably. Unfortunately however, it now seems to have acquired some kind of parasitic drain on the battery & won't hold charge for more than a day or so at best.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but in hindsight I'm not massively keen on the push button adjustments, I'd much rather have a good old fashioned "knob" to turn :)

Whilst, I love the look/specs of the Fostex HP-P1, I really cant justify £500 on a portable amp.

I had been considering the Graham Slee Voyager or iBasso D2, but I understand that the Voyager isn't rechargeable? Any other recomendations?

I'm purely going to use the amp for driving earphones, my Audio Technica cans & helmest speakers from an iPhone 4S, not my PC or anything else. But it must be rechargeable & small enough to confortably fit into a jacket pocket with my phone whilst I'm out on the bike - riding down to Portugal in June.

Apologies for the long post, any help will be gratefully received.

2. UndefinedMemory

UndefinedMemory New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Regarding the earphones, I can't help. I gave up on in ears a while ago and switched to portable on-ear headphones. For the amp though, I can happily recommend JustAudio's uHA-120. It's a little bit bigger than the E7 (I have that as well) but I haven't had any issues with it in a coat pocket. The sound quality is better than the E7 and the sound stage and instrument separation is MUCH better, but it depends on the headphones you're using: my headphones are very analytical, so the extra bass that this amp adds could make some cans sound boomy (the HD25-II's are an example of that). The amp also has a gain setting to adjust to switch between in-ears and headphones, and it's rechargable via USB.

Having said this, you may be better served by picking up a new FiiO E17. It's cheaper and smaller than the JustAudio amps and I think would be a better all rounder, as it should be a good match for pretty much any headphones. I haven't heard it myself yet but everything I've read says it's an improved version of the E7.

Hope this helps.