Earphones for £150

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by bunnyjung, Nov 24, 2008.

1. bunnyjung

bunnyjung New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I know you don't recommend particular headphones because everyone has individual requirements, but I was wondering if you could give me some help on the pros and cons of some in-ear ones that I am hoping to buy and am a bit confused with the huge variety of choice.

I want to spend about £150. I will use it for an iPod but mainly with the Yamaha silent mute system when I practise my French horn in a terrace house.

I have narrowed it down to three makes:

• Shure (SE210, SE320 or SE420)
    • Sleek Audio SA6
    • Ultimate Ear (Super.fi 5 Pro or Super.fi 10 Pro)
    Can you highlight the differences between them or suggest anything similar? I know this is a bit vague but I would really appreciate any input you could give me.
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Aug 30, 2008
    In-ear earphones - Shure, Sleek Audio or Ultimate Ears?

I can understand the quandary, as there are so many options. All of the earphones you have suggested (other than possibly the SE210, which is severely lacking in bottom end response) are a very good choice. Both Shure and Ultimate Ears have a long history manufacturing in ear monitors for on-stage use by musicians.

The one big difference between the Shure and Ultimate Ears models is that the Ultimate Ears eaphones are designed to fit upside down. This actually works very well, as the earphone cable is moldable and hooks over the top of the ear providing a very secure fit. The Ultimate Ears cables are also replaceable, which means if the cable or connector gets broken the cable can be replaced independently of the earphone.

The Sleek Audio earphones are a new development that offers the feature of tuning the sound to suit what you listen to and also to suit your ears. This earphone is also a lot smaller than the equivalent Shure or Ultimate Ears models, which means they are more comfortable for long term listening and an easier fit in the ear. We are big fans of Sleek Audio earphones.

Shure earphone are very accurate, but some comment that they are little lacking in lower end response, i.e. bass. Ultimate Ears on the other hand have a warm sound with plenty of bottom end. Sleek Audio earphones are somewhere in between, with the added benefit of being able to tune the bass and treble response.

You may already have read our buying guides, but in case not below is a link to the buying guide area of the HiFi Headphones website:

If there is anything further I can do to assist please let me know. If you would like to discuss any of the earphones in more detail please feel free to give us a call on 0800 756 9564.