Earphones for small ears

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by jimbob, Sep 5, 2008.

1. jimbob

jimbob New Member

I am looking for advice on earphones that will stay in my small ears!!! I guess you could say I have a relatively small head & ears. Earbud earphones, e.g. out the box iPod ones, don't fit in my ears. I tried a pair that go round the back of my neck but they slip off too.

Basically, I need a 'discreet' set of phones, so I can listen at work. I have ordered proper old fashioned headphones that look link they are from the 1980's for in the house (Koss Porta Pro), but need something more discreet for work.

I am not a sound geek and as long as the sound is decent I will be happy - mainly radio listening during work. I will pay what ever it takes to get headphones that fit - upto a budget of about £100.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. ShaunG

ShaunG Guest

Headphones for small ears

If you have small ears then I would stay away from the Sennheiser CX range (CX300, CX400, CX500, etc) as they have relatively large earphone body. We have had a number of customers comment that they have problems with the earphone body causing the earphone to pop out.

We've done a bit of testing at HiFi Headphones (we have a member of staff who has small ears!) and found that the SoundMAGIC PL50 and Phonak Audeo PFE are the earphones that provide the best fit for a small ear. I would definitely suggest Comply Foam tips to ensure a good fit.

The Klipsch Image X10 and Ultimate Ears 700 are two other earphones that are very small and easy to fit due to their balanced armature driver design, but they are quite a bit over budget for you.

3. jimbob

jimbob New Member

Thanks for the detailed advice! Much appreciated. It's tricky buying earphones when you have small ears :confused:

Would you say it's really worth spending so much on a pair of earphones? £160 seems like a hell of a lot of cash for earphones!

My question is, would the SoundMAGIC PL50 be good enough?

4. ShaunG

ShaunG Guest

Headphones for small ears

There definitely is a significant difference when comparing the SoundMAGIC PL50 or Klipsch S2 with the top of the range In Ear Monitor (IEM) earphones like the Westone UM3X.

Saying that, the PL50's are good value for money and the overall sound quality compares well with many earphones costing more. Bass response is on the lighter end of the scale, but they have LOADS of clarity and detail. Check out this review of the SoundMAGIC PL50 by Stuff Magazine.

The Klipsch S2 has a bigger bass response than the PL50, but does not have the accuracy of the PL50. The Phonak PFE 012 offers all the clarity of the PL50, better bass response and higher end build quality.

5. henders

henders New Member

Earphones to fit small ears

Interestingly, Klipsch have just recently launched the Klipsch X5. This earphone is nearly as small as the more expensive Klispch X10 and comes in just over £100.

My girlfriend has very small ears and now has a pair of the miniature Klipsch X10's. Before trying these I couldn't convince her that any in-ear earphones were worth bothering with. She always found them uncomfortable. I ended up buying another pair of X10's after lending her mine for the weekend! :rolleyes:

6. F1Annie

F1Annie New Member

Hello

Just joined.

My ears are very small & after wasting quite a lot of money & buiding up an impressive (& totally useless) collection of earphones, in despair I Googled "earphones for small ears" & I found this page of your forum.

After an out of body experience with the OMG I cannot possibly pay that much for earphones moment, I gave it some thought. I have a shiny new Creative Zen & have been struggling to do it justice.

I looked at the reviews of both Klipsch X10s and Ultimate Ears 700 and gave it more thought. In the end I've opted for the Klipsch X10s as they seemed smaller.

My earphones came today & I had my second OMG moment but this time it was of pure pleasure. They come beautifully presented as befits a precision instrument with carrying cases, adaptors, cleaning tool etc.

I like all sorts of music but I adore José Carreras and for the first time with earphones I have enjoyed his beautiful voice in all its golden lyrical glory.

Review of one my favourite arias.

Along an alternative band of the music spectrum Bob Dylan sounds great as well!

Thanks for the advice and for the excellent service.

Annie

7. henders

henders New Member

Earphones for smaller ears

I agree, the Klipsch Image X10 is a really nice sounding earphone. Nice warm bass response and lots of detail.

It's a truly high end earphone product - it feels to me as if it is good value for money. Importantly the small earphone body seems to fit even the smallest of ears.

8. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Just spotted this old post and wanted to add that the Phonak Audeo PFE range is the absolute best earphone design we have tested for smaller ears. Phonak Audeo earphones fit just about anyone's ears, due to the ergonomic design of the earphone body and small earphone nozzle.

Phonak is the World's largest hearing aid manufacturer and their expertise with the ear has resulted in a truly excellent earphone design. In combination with Comply Foam tips the PFE is one of the most comfortable earphones for small ears.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
  9. speedy gonzalez

speedy gonzalez New Member

I have small ear canals as well but could do with something cheaper. Ideally less than £30 at a push less than £50.

10. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

It's a tough call, because so many of the more popular earphones have relatively large nozzles (e.g. the entire Sennheiser range).

One earphone worth considering the the SoundMAGIC PL21. The PL11 and PL30 have larger nozzles, but the PL21 has a relatively slim, angled nozzle (a little bit like the PL50).

11. esmita

esmita New Member

I am so glad to see that I am not alone with this problem and thankful to this forum that I have potentially found some earphones that may fit my small ears. I shall buy one of the above recomendations asap.

However before I do so, are there any noise cancelling earphones for small ears? What are the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC3 Noise Cancelling In-Ear Headphones like for small ears? I don't want to throw away more money just for painful ears.

12. alextech

alextech New Member

great mid-range noise cancelling earphones

Hey. I don't know very much about the ATH-ANC3 but I use the Klipsch Image s4s noise-cancelling iems (in ear) and they're really good. I don't know how small your ear canals are but if you can try replacing the klipsch earbuds with comply foam tips. Because the comply foam tips come in a range of sizes and if I'm not wrong, the smallest one is rather small. Plus it's really soft and comfy. :)

You can read more about it at Klipsch Image s4 Review.

13. batfinksdad

batfinksdad New Member

an update on this please

hi .

I just googled this and found all this helpful info.

i have never been able to find an in ear headphone that isn't painful to wear and that doesn't constantly pop out , so i read this thread with interest.

could someone give me an update on this as i'm a bit confused. shaun g updated saying that Phonak Audeo is the best, after recommending Klipsch before. I would go out and get a pair of the phonak's but want to make sure i am doing the right thing as it's a fair amount of money to spend. or has there been any new products recently that are better?

please advise.

many thanks

14. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Batfinksdad

The phonaks are an excellent bet for anybody who has fit problems. The size of the nozzle is small and these headphones have their own size of comply tips which is T-130. Phonak have an unrivaled knowledge of the human ear and have shaped the Audeo series of headphones so that their fit really is superb.

Obviously as we humans differ so much from each other there will be instances where an individual must pick using different criteria due to the shaping of their ears. As a rule though if you do have fit problems an ergonomically shaped body with a thin nozzle and a well though out tip coupled with the over ear fit which helps stability, is what you need to look for.

Hope that helps:)

15. CAB

CAB New Member

Just registered to add my experience.

I have *very* small ears - never found anything that fitted, even the SoundMagic P11 (?) as recommended in some places did not fit.

The PHONAK PFE 012 are excellent - great fit, especially with the T-130 Comply foam tips. Sound isolation is very good - dangerously so!

Sound is superb, pretty neutral to my ears, even though these are the 'perfect bass' version.

Only wish I had got the silicon guides at the same time, I will have to order separately and pay the postage.

All in all, an expensive outlay, but if nothing else fits then these will. A very satisfied customer.

*****EDIT*****: don't get the Comply tips that show up at the bottom of the page, they won't fit! The T-130's do, don't know if anything else does but I'm sure the staff here would advise.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  16. small_ears

small_ears New Member

fantastic thread!

Thanks Cab, I'm going to check out Phonak immediately but am concerned that they will be too isolating for my purpose.

I have small ears and have religiously stayed away from earphones in favour of headphones in the past due to fit problems and the pain caused by regular phones. I had never tried earbuds, I could never be sure they would not be painful.

Recently I got a faster bicycle and feel its good to wear a helmet, hence I decided to give earbuds a whirl. Given that its for riding a bike in traffic, I'd like to hear music but not have the earphones isolate too much.

I have a Sennheiser headset so I tried the CX 270 earbuds. I wished I'd seen these posts first! As ShaunG said they are too big, even on the S bud there are numerous problems:

1. Still pain on wearing them, granted less than with older earphone designs
    2. If I wear them properly (pushed in) I feel like I'm underwater or have ear wax. Yuk! I get similar problems with closed large headphones, esp if the earpads are leather.
    3. Cable sounds...oh god the cable sounds.... Please tell me there are phones or buds out there that don't make it feel like someone is tapping a mike in my ear every time the cable moves??

Any advice for earphones for small ears that are not too isolating and where the cable noise wont drive me demented?
    Would comply foam tips redeem my CX 270? or should I scrap those and try something else?
    Will Phonak be too isolating for bike riding?

(Note also, I have not been able to find wraparound head/ear phones that fit me in the past. Small head as well as small ears, I guess.)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  17. MicroEars

MicroEars New Member

Big bump for a year old thread

I was wondering if people tried the PL21s and, if so, any comments?
    Or if anything else has come along in the same price range that would also be suitable for very small ears?

Thanks

18. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

SoundMAGIC PL50 have quite a small nozzle with a little length to it - this helps as the most common nozzle (the bit where the sound comes out:)) sizes are bigger. As a way to check how large the nozzle is without having to see the headphone in question try visiting the Comply Foam website. Here you will find most well regarded headphones with the corresponding Comply Foam tip size T-#00 number - T-100 is a thin Nozzle and T-500 is a fat nozzle.:D

19. MicroEars

MicroEars New Member

Thank you, Robin. Excellent way to compare - has shown me that the earphones I have, which I thought were small, are actually T-400 size.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  20. SwimSonny

SwimSonny New Member

Have you seen the hisoundaudio crystals? Bout 60 quid though!