Entirely new mobile set up

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Theotherlarryb, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Theotherlarryb

Theotherlarryb New Member

Hello,

I recently lost my entire mobile rig consisting of iPod classic 6th gen, Fiio L3, GS Voyager and Shure SE535s. Aargh! Fortunately Mr Insurance has kindly paid out and so I am in the market for a whole new set up, budget around the £1,000 mark.

I loved my old set up and I'm pretty tempted just to get like for like. However, a few new products have emerged since I last looked and I'm keen to get a few opinions, particularly on:

Custom IEMs vs the top of the range Shures
    Just Audio amp vs the GS Voyager
    Mobile Dacs (seem to be an emerging trend)

Only thing i will definitely stick with is the source ipod as all my music is ripped in Apple Lossless and you cant beat the interface. So allowing a couple of hundred quid there i have about 800 to play with.

Cheers for any advice

Larryb

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Theotherlarryb

I have a pair of the ACS T1 Classic and they sound very similar to the Shure SE535 but better. It is very hard to say whether they are so similar that a re-cased SE535 might sound almost identical but whatever is making the difference you would love this earphone!

For in-ears I prefer the uHA-120 which has some helpful mods for IEM users or people with multiple headphones (full size and in-ears). This is always going to be subjective though as you may find uses for the controls on the GS Voyager.

A budget busting but very interesting option is to go for a Fostex HP-P1. This is an iPod / iPad / iPhone DAC as well as an amp. This really makes a huge difference, a quantum leap forwards for iPod based portable set ups that really makes the most of those lossless files.

3. Theotherlarryb

Thanks Robin...I have looked at the TCS but the price is a bit high versus the Shures (almost double). Might get the Shures and add some TCS sleeves though.

Thanks for your thoughts on the amp. If nothing else I prefer the internal battery on the uHA since I travel a lot and recently the 9 volt GS Voyager battery has had me searched at customs pretty much every time which is irritating!

Not sure about the Fostex...it looks to me like an early frontrunner in an entirely new category...if Apple start licensing the iPod digital out more broadly then I guess people like Graham Slee and Justin might start making their own versions...?

Looking at your 535/uHA-120 bundle it shows as out of stock...I presume this is the uHA. Any ideas when it will be back in? And will it be the revised uHA I see referenced on Head-Fi?

Sorry for more questions - cheers again

4. RobinHiFi

When they come back in they will be the new version - They are back in at the time of writing this but I guess I am saying we buy directly from the amazing Just Audio and even get sneaky peaks at new things from them. I have one of their amps myself - very keen on it and use it everyday. Seems like a good place to break a little secret but Just audio will have some excellent mid priced cables available soon! Testing at the moment, I immediately replaced my 3.5-3.5mm cable with one, very good indeed.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like!:D

5. Theotherlarryb

Just Audio Bliss

Robin, just a quick thank you for all the advice on here and the phone. Delighted I went with the Just Audio amp.

To my ears, definitely a step up from the (already excellent) Graham Slee Voyager - better separation and bigger soundstage especially.

Really nicely made as well, Justin has clearly poured his heart and soul into the design and it shows.

Now I'm interested in the desktop equivalent...wondering how it would perform vs my Neco Soundlab...damn this hobby ;-)

6. RobinHiFi

Justin is really talented - If your reading this post and haven't seen the Just Audio Amps have a look at the products uHA-120 and AHA-120 and there is a bit more about them and a mini review here.:)

The closest desktop we do might be the Black Cube from Lehman - if someone has both and they wanted to do a comparison that would be great.