Entry level open cans?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by jelicof, Aug 17, 2011.

1. jelicof

jelicof New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    So I am about to be a renter again. This means I am going to be using my headphones a good bit more since I have odd hours and don't want to disturb the neighbors in the middle of the night. I am thinking of getting some open cans so that I can get a bit better soundstage but still keep volume levels lower. I have never had a pair, always IEMs and closed cans. I know they can be heard but I wouldn't think it would be as loud for the neighbors as a full out home system. I want decent bass presence for the movies but still have good musicality. I just sold a set of hd428s and I am thinking something along those lines but open and with a longer cable meant for home use. I will be driving them off my Onkyo receiver for the most part. Budget I am unsure about but I will start the hunting int he $100-150 range. Cheaper is always better, but I want something that fits my needs first and foremost. So any suggestions?

maybe the audio technica ath-ad700 or the sennheiser hd555, or 595?
  2. ClimacticCoda

ClimacticCoda New Member

Oct 2, 2011
    The Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is a great pair for a lot of the things that you want: they offer a large soundstage, good quality and have a 10 ft long cable. The bass is tight, but a bit weak if you like a really strong response. It really comes down to a matter of preference in that case. They're well within your budget, too, so I'd say they're a good choice.