Etymotic ER-4PT or Shure SE535 ?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by nottusleinad, Jul 24, 2013.

1. nottusleinad

nottusleinad New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Hi guys,

I am on the search for a good quality IEM and have narrowed down my wanted list to the Ety ER4. I crave detail and clarity (I currently have a pair of HF5s), however, the ER4s have been out of stock since forever and I want to purchase something soon for my up-coming holidays. So, I've also been considering the Shure SE535.

The Shure's get rave reviews from many, the Ety's appear to get rave reviews from everyone ! I find the HF5s comfortable to wear for several hours, and there is always the option of ACS custom tips in the future, which I am guessing are not an option for the SE535s?

I listen (mostly) to Pink Floyd / Roger Waters which is often a complex mix of guitars, vocals, and various samples with huge dynamic range in many of their tracks, however, my music collection covers pretty much every conceivable genre from classical, to choral, to modern chart music. I don't really do drum&bass or trance though, and I am definitely not a bass-head... accuracy to the original recording is critical to me.

Whatever I get will be partnered with a varitey of portable players, from a Sansa Clip+, to an LG Nexus 4 mobile, to a HiSoundAudio Studio 3rd Anniversary PMP. I also have a Fiio E11 portable amp, although I don't need that for the HF5s as they have extremely low impedance.

Anyway - your advice is appreciated. Are the ER-4PTs likely to be back in stock soon ?

Kind regards,
  2. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi nottusleinad,

They are both certainly going to give you plenty of detail, they do have different sound signatures though..

The ER4PT have a very detailed and flat response so they don't colour the sound - Because of this they are very popular with sound engineers as they give an accurate representation of recordings. The SE535 have a similar sound except they have a forward midrange, this is why they are very popular musicians monitors. They really bring out vocals, snare drums and other instruments that have mid range presence.