Etymotic ER-6i replacment

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Ben, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Ben

Ben New Member

Hello,

I've had ER-6 and ER-6i's for years. My current pair have died, long out of warranty and I'm looking to replace them. I use them quite a lot mainly with my ipod.

Looking around your site I notice you also offer Etymotic hf5, firstly I was wondering what the difference was?

I also noticed you recommend the following two pairs in the same price range:
    Klipsch Image S4
    Phonak Audéo PFE 012
    Are there any marked differences.

Music wise there is all sorts on their, from Rock, Northern Soul, Hip Hop to John Cale and Bjork, how ever you classify them.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Ben,

If you enjoyed the detail and clarity of the Etymotic ER-6i's a great replacement would be the Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass 012. These have the same light and airy attention to detail and dynamics with a little extra power and bottom end. They are definitely not bass monsters but in fact very well balanced - it's all there but presented in a fresh a bright way without being fatiguing.

The hf5's are brighter, although this is a matter of taste, many sat too bright.

3. Ben

Ben New Member

Cheers, glad I found your site.
    I will order a pair.

4. brougham

brougham New Member

Have the ER-6i's gone? Are you likely to be getting any more in? I have a pair and wanted to get a second set and a set of custom ear molds.

5. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Etymotic ER-6i

I think we've seen the last of the Etymotic ER6i and they haven't really got a direct replacement.

The Phonak Audeo PFE 111/112 is the closest sounding earphone I can think of (or a PFE 012 with grey filters).