Expert's help?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by soong, Dec 21, 2010.

1. soong

soong New Member

Sorry for posting two similar posts on this forum. I am becoming more audiophile every minute :D
    Anyways, I previously posted about "Sennheiser vs Denon vs Klipsch." I still haven't have decided yet. However, I would like to hear from the experts which ones are good for classical music. I heard Sennheiser use a speaker that's similar to the headphone's, and people on youtube said it was good for bass, not classic. Other people said it was the same for Klipsch.
    I currently have ATH-CK300M, which are in-ear earphones, and ATH-ES55, which are over-the-ear headphones. I really do like the sound from the ATH-ES55, from listening to classical musics.
    At the moment, the local store only has Sony, Sennheiser, Pioneer, and Audio-Technica. Which in ear earphones under $50 are good for listening to classical music? (btw, I hate over-the-ear earphones. Too much hassle and stress.)

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The reason that most headphones under £50 are not considered good for classical music is that they almost invariably have a "Dynamic Driver" like a mini speaker. Although this earphone design can be excellent it is very hard to build a detailed controlled driver that is this small and most are pretty basic. More expensive earphones tend to use a "Balanced Armature", or several of these, which are like a tiny metal bottle with a piston like diaphragm inside. These move faster and produce more detail which is why most people you ask will recommend an earphone which uses these as drivers for classical. These balanced armature designs are more expensive as the component is more expensive to manufacture. It is these that you should be aspiring to based on your taste.

As before I recommend you have a look at -

SoundMAGIC PL50 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones (PL 50)
    £59.95

Audeo PFE 012 Perfect Bass Earphones in Black (PFE-012)
    £79.95

and see where you can afford to end up. For instance have a look at these - if you can save for them I'm sure you would love them.

Westone UM2 Dual-Driver Earphones with Replaceable Cable (UM 2)
    £199.95

3. soong

soong New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Yes, I would like the first one, as the second one has long plastic body, which I dislike. The $200 one looks cool, but it's just too much for me :D That's like the cost of an iPod Touch 4G!
    Anyways, I called the local store, but they didn't have these, and can't order from overseas. It's Japan. I expected them to at least ship for me :(

One more question. I heard about "cord noise, or microphonics." Are there any in-ear earphones that doesn't have this? I'm frustrated about this, as I do walk a lot. I'm sick of ATH-CK300M.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Microphonic cable noise can be pretty much stopped with the over the ear fit and a clothing clip at your lapel.

Graduation! Now that really is something I cannot help you with!:D