Fatigue Fracture Proof Earbuds wire

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by acousticon, Jun 19, 2012.

1. acousticon

acousticon New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I like to go to sleep wearing earbuds but to voice not music. This means that one prerequisit is to sit flat and flush with the ear to prevent too much pressure forcing the earphone into the ear. The other is a robust connection wire . I have found many earphones, some quite expensive have wires which fatigue fracture very readily indeed. Do you know of a set which would fit my requirements? Good but not hi fi sound is all that is needed but fatigue fracture proof wire is a must.
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    One of the problems with in-ears is that they are delicate little flowers. Strictly speaking the cabling is just to thin and light to really stand up to long term punishment. The reason for this, which is fairly obvious, is they must remain lightweight to be comfortable. The average in-ear weighs in at about 30 grams, the average full size headphone cable is more like 150-200 grams. The length of time a cable lasts, in my experience, is down to usage. The vast majority of people find in-ears will survive for 2-4 years, pretty bad in comparison to full size cans which regularly refuse to die no matter what is thrown at them. Tougher cabling is not that much better than very average cabling - there are only two solutions to this - an expensive cable or a replaceable cable (or maybe both).

The headphones which best fit what you are asking are probably these -

Audeo PFE 012 Perfect Bass Earphones in Black (PFE-012)

They have a very nice cable and an excellent fit into the ear which allows you to lie flat on the ear (in most cases) and remain comfortable. The cabling is very nicely done but not indestructable.

Another option would be these -

Shure SE215 Sound Isolating Earphones in Clear (SE 215)

Very nice cabling which is replaceable too. These are not quite as comfy when lying down.

a cheaper option might be these -

SoundMAGIC E30 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones in Black (E 30)

Impressive for the price.

Hope that helps a bit:)