Fiio E11 vs E6

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Van Gogh, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Van Gogh

Van Gogh New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Hey guys,

Planning to get new pair of M50 headphones and I have read that amps are very recommended to get the most of this good headphones.

A couple questions.

1) Do amps only increase the volume or they actually make the sound quality better?

After some research I think 2 are the most suitable for me, Fiio E11 or E6.
    2) E6 is much more portable, but I have read that E11 might be better? Is it true?
    Sound quality is of upmost importance for me, and if the difference is noticeable, than i would go with E11.

Also, an even more important question.
    3) I have read that some people use *L9 LOD with their IPOD's and IPON's.
    What are these cables doing? What are they for and are htey worth getting?
    Even than I have a blackberry only and I don't know if similar cables for blackberry exist....

Thanks for any help !!!
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    The amp cannot really "improve" the sound from a player that has already amplified the signal for headphones. It may actually sound better, but that's mostly by modifying the signal to make it sound more spacious, etc. But, if your player has a Line Out or digital out in addition to the headphone jack, an amplifier can be connected to those ports and it very well may improve the sound. Another way that an amp can "improve" the sound from a headphone jack is when the player is underpowered and clips the strongest waveforms - the amp can boost the volume with the player's volume kept low enough not to clip, and sound "better" that way, but you're still getting double amplification - not good. You may not notice the difference with an average MP3 however.