Fiio e11

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by pk47, Jun 3, 2013.

1. pk47

pk47 New Member

Is the battery in this amplifier supplied with charging facility?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

No charger included. You can charge from a computer USB port, or find chargers at electronics store - small chargers like Apple devices come with (5v, 1 amp).

3. krisAKG

krisAKG New Member

I have an e11 there is an included USB cable used for charging. You cannot use this model while charging they seem to want you to use it for portable only, I have gotten 10 hours out of one charge traveling using on volume 4 with an iPhone (connected through the dock) and a pair of AKG K550's it's a sweet amp.

4. Van Gogh

Van Gogh New Member

General question guys.
    Whats the best proportion of volume contribution of amp vs mp3 player?
    Say at what level has my mp3 player to be to achieve the best sound with changing the amplifier volume?

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

It's best to bypass the volume control of the music player so you're not re-amplifying a signal that's already amplified. Turning down the music player volume doesn't lessen the music player amplification - double amping still degrades the signal. With Apple devices and the Line Out dock connector, I can feed a signal to my external amp that bypasses the Apple volume control. There is some controversy about how much amplification actually takes place before the LOD, but bypassing the volume control is still better. If your music player has a headphone jack only, then consider getting one that has a line out jack. I think you'll discover that adjusting the volume of the music player up and down in conjunction with the external amp volume will change the sound quality at every setting, because of weird impedance mismatches with a low impedance headphone jack driving the external amp input.

6. Van Gogh

Van Gogh New Member

I have a blackberry Curve and I do most listening on it.
    I know u can by pass internal amplifier of IPHONES and IPOD's, but I don't know how I can achieve the same with blackberry if at all possible.

Also if listening to music through my laptop, is just using a USB to amp a good way or better ways out there?

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

There are excellent USB DACs with built-in amplification for headphones like the Microstreamer, Dragonfly, or Meridian Explorer. These will give the best sound for laptops by far. The best you can do with the Blackberry audio-wise is a simple FiiO amp and just hope the distortion isn't bad.

8. Van Gogh

Van Gogh New Member

I have the Fiio 17, which is a DAC and amp at the same time. (dont even know what DAC is lol)
    So if I just connect it to my amplifier with the USB it came in will it be good?

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

DAC = Digital to Analog Converter. Converts the digital file on your Blackberry or your laptop into analog which can then be heard as music.

The E17 DAC (USB port) can be connected to the laptop USB port as a DAC and headphone amp.

The E17 can be connected from the Blackberry's headphone jack to the "Aux" input of the E17 as a headphone amp only (the Blackberry's DAC does the conversion).

10. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

I recently wrote an article on why to use a DAC. You might find it interesting :)

To DAC or not to DAC