First time buyer, reccomendations appreciated !

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Dan1121, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Dan1121

Dan1121 New Member

Hi there, new to the forums here, would really appreciate some help
    I am looking to buy my first set of quality headphones. My budget is just over $200, or £130.
    Ideally I dont want to buy a portable amp, but if necessary my budget for that would be $60 or £40.
    I am looking for a reasonably stylish headphone, but obviously sound is more important. Also, something comfortable would be great, and although it will mainly be for home listening, I wil wear them out and about, but not for anything strenuous. I listen to a lot of hip hop, also a lot of indie stuff, and some acoustic based music.
    Headphones I am considering atm are Shure SRH 940s, Audio technica ATH-ES7s and the M50s, Goldring NS1000, Denon AH D1100, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, Sennheiser HD 380s.
    so there you are, any recommendations and information would be great ! hope you have everything you need
    thanks in advance

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

First time headphone recommendation...

You've obviously done your research, because all the headphones you chose are good.

My choice would either be the Shure SRH-940 or Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Both are an excellent closed back headphone choice with a studio pedigree. They are the best at each of their price points in my opinion.