First time buyer, reccomendations appreciated !

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Dan1121, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Dan1121

Dan1121 New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Hi there, new to the forums here, would really appreciate some help
    I am looking to buy my first set of quality headphones. My budget is just over $200, or £130.
    Ideally I dont want to buy a portable amp, but if necessary my budget for that would be $60 or £40.
    I am looking for a reasonably stylish headphone, but obviously sound is more important. Also, something comfortable would be great, and although it will mainly be for home listening, I wil wear them out and about, but not for anything strenuous. I listen to a lot of hip hop, also a lot of indie stuff, and some acoustic based music.
    Headphones I am considering atm are Shure SRH 940s, Audio technica ATH-ES7s and the M50s, Goldring NS1000, Denon AH D1100, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, Sennheiser HD 380s.
    so there you are, any recommendations and information would be great ! hope you have everything you need
    thanks in advance
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Aug 30, 2008
    First time headphone recommendation...

You've obviously done your research, because all the headphones you chose are good.

My choice would either be the Shure SRH-940 or Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Both are an excellent closed back headphone choice with a studio pedigree. They are the best at each of their price points in my opinion.