Focal spirit one ,To amp or not to amp?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Focal wow, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Focal wow

Focal wow New Member

Hi all , I have just bought these focal spirit one headphones and oh my gosh -i love them , I have not heard separation or clarity like it .comparing these to my old headphones is like comparing the handling of a ford ka to an Aston Martin db9. Anyway is it worth my while buying a headphone amp ( I can only spare £100) I mainly listen to music through my laptop but also use my ipad and iPod touch . Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance .

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

If you do not hear any distortion, any strain in the computer or music player, any mushiness in the bass or other anomalies that could be due to a lack of power, then you're probably OK as is. If you do lean toward buying an amp, don't expect it to do the things that many people say it will do, unless your current sound is deficient in some way. It will likely make an improvement, but it should be subtle.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Have a look at this -

FiiO E17 Alpen Portable Headphone Amplifier & USB DAC (E-17)
    £100.00

Really amazing quality for the price, the DAC function will unlock the best possible sound from your laptop with very little fuss. It can also be used as just an amp for your iPod or other devices if they lack a little power.:)