Fostex HP-P1 - Full review

Discussion in 'Headphone Reviews' started by quadpatch, Dec 31, 2012.

1. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Hey Guys, I hope you all had a nice Christmas!

I just finished writing my review for the Fostex portable iPhone/iPod DAC and headphone amplifier - the HP-P1.

Noble Hi-Fi: Fostex: HP-P1 - review

Following on from this I would really love to try some of the new hybrid i-device DAC/amps (works with a computer, as well as new Galaxy phones I think). Models like the Sony PHA-1 or the CEntrance hifi M8 so I will try and get my hands on them in the 2013.

Also I would love to try some full on portables like the Hifiman HM801, the iBasso DX100 or the Colorfly C4, fingers crossed I can find someone willing to lend me one.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year for tonight (14 hours and counting...).

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I'm really curious how this compares to the HRT iStreamer which I had, and since I won't be getting any more Apple DACs unless I get a Verza for the iPhone5. I compared the iStreamer to the mini-DACs like the Dragonfly, and was disappointed. Probably because the i-devices are bandwidth-limited.

3. marcusd

marcusd Member

Thanks Edd for the review, I am going to be doing one on this shortly also with the CLAS -db. Would love to get my hands on the Sony variant. The P1's greatest strength is of course dual stack and not triple but so much depends on that amp that a balanced CLAS -db, though triple stacking, is going to add maybe too much for the p1 to compete on pure fidelity.

4. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Thanks guys!

Dale: Yeah I know what you mean. I do think the HP-P1 is better than the iStreamer but then the iStreamer is not only not portable but it's a massive pain to plug in... oh yeah and it's really poor! I would say that it makes the HP-P1 look good value but then the iStreamer makes everything look good value so that't not saying that much.

Marcus: Oh great yeah I'll be looking forward to your review and comparative thoughts on the CLAS, but yeah the CLAS will win on quality, just at considerable extra cost and size.