full headphones under 150quid

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by hughkk, Feb 22, 2011.

1. hughkk

hughkk New Member

i wanted to buy a full headphone and here are my list: (and the price which sell in my country)
    ATH AD700 : 70GBP
    SRH840 : 85GBP
    Alessandro MS1: 75GBP
    ATH M50 :103GBP
    ATH AD900 :140GBP
    GRADO SR80i: 88GBP
    GRADO SR60i :68GBP

i am planning to use it as a multi purpose headphone (movies and music, mostly music though) in my home and dorm. I am aware that there are both open and closed headphones on the list and both is fine for me.

Can you recommend me a pair of headphone acroding to the price?which is the bang of the bucks?

also, is amp needed for it?

sorry for my bad english

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Hughkk

From your list and your previous comments on music which you like I would be really tempted by the Shure SRH840. This is a bargain price and they are capable of handling all your music preferences working for Rock, Dance and Hip Hop. These are comfortable and durable with a replaceable cable so they would make a good all rounder.:)

3. hughkk

hughkk New Member

thanks very much.
    i will be getting one soon^^
    also, is an amp/dac needed for this headphone?

4. RobinHiFi

An amp is not necessary as these are really quite easy to drive:)

5. hughkk

hughkk New Member

how about a DAC?
    also, what is the difference of DAC and AMP?
    is it amp is increasing in volume and dac is improve in SQ?

6. RobinHiFi

An amp amplifies the signal and whilst it seems a bit silly to point this out actually why is that so useful? Well when a signal is not powerful enough for the resistance of a headphone it is not just the volume which suffers - The lack of power manifests itself as weakness at different frequencies. Some headphones when not powered sound weak or veiled right from top to bottom others begin to distort at one end or the other, underpowered headphones do not have the frequency response they should.

Headphone amps therefore provide enough stable power to drive headphones well but they are also a chance to EQ your cans to perfection. If your headphones are very slightly bright for you, an amp which is a little dark sounding will nudge them in a slightly weightier direction.

A DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) is a chip which takes digital information and transforms it into audiable sound. So we use the term DAC for the part of your computer of CD player which does this job. Obviously this is a very important bit of kit when using a digital format - it is the digital equivalent of a record players needle and the better it is at it's job, the better the sound that reaches your headphones.

If your device (portable or home based) has a digital output, a new DAC is a way to improve the signal path and get better audio at the end of the chain. :)

7. hughkk

hughkk New Member

don't really understand what you mean by digital output??

also, i read some comments about SRH840 and apparently, this headphone has a huge potential then just plugging into the ipod/computer without AMP/DAC.

would you recommend me buying an AMP b4 a DAC for better SQ?
    also, which model will you recommend? (budget around 100quid)

8. RobinHiFi

A digital output is USB, Optical or CO-AX - there is no sound just information so the DAC is the bit that changes this digitally coded information into sound - it is the job your sound card does inside your PC but all devices that have digital media (MP3 players, CD Players) have a DAC inside. The point of a separate DAC is to get one that does a better job than the one already available so it is a way of improving the output of a PC or Mac or a CD Player. Very few MP3 players have a digital out.

Hve a look at this amazing DAC/AMP which could be used analogue (bottom dock of an iPod to the 3.5mm input on the amp - this bypasses the DAC) or from USB on a PC or Mac (this uses the amps DAC instead of your computers own soundcard).

FiiO E7 Headphone Amplifier & USB Audio Decoder (DAC) in Black
    £64.99

Really quite amazing for the price!:)

9. hughkk

hughkk New Member

how about a10 soundmagic?
    i read a few reviews and apparently it is quite worth the price.
    how would you compare a10 to e7? in terms of SQ

edit:
    after some extensive research, i found that corda xxs is also a very good amp for beginner. So is there any amp which is bettwe value than Corda xxs but also is for desktop use? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  10. RobinHiFi

11. hughkk

hughkk New Member

apparently my friend is going to USA (chicago),
    is there any cheap headphones in the states?
    i know GRADO is one of them, any others?

12. RobinHiFi

Also look at the Alessandro stuff which are similar to the Grado's. some in-ears worth buying in the States - Sleek Audio. Anything US made will be decently less due to import Tax.