Full size headphones for ~£150

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by HuskyMidget, Dec 24, 2011.

1. HuskyMidget

HuskyMidget New Member

I am looking for some full sized headphones for around £100-£150.

I am probably looking for some closed back ones as I need to block out the bass from other peoples music.

The music I listen to is fairly varied, from bands such as Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot and Metallica to Lady Gaga, The Fray and David Bowie.

I have only ever owned In-Ear Headphones - a pair of Sennheiser CX 400-II Precision which I loved and I currently have a pair of JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives but the bass is far too heavy for my liking and it lacks in the highs.

I will only be using the headphones when at home on my laptop and will be used for gaming, watching movies, music and need to block out external noise (usually snoring or bass). They also need to be comfortable to use for a few hours a time without getting too warm and such.

I've been looking around and saw the DT770's which looked good and were getting good reviews but I noticed a 80Ω and a 250Ω version. Which would be better for use on a laptop? I also saw some ATH-M50's which also looked good and were getting decent reviews.

Wondering whether the headphones I've seen were any good or if there's any better for the price as I have little knowledge on all this.

(Oh and I've noticed on some threads people asking for sound cards. I have a "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC".)

Much thanks!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi HuskyMidget,

The DT770 may be a little too hard to drive without a small amp if you are using a laptop. Here is a selection of headphones which would work well for your needs and suit your musical tastes.

Denon AH-D1100 Closed Back Stereo Headphones (AHD1100)
    £99.95 - Warm and smooth sounding but not the most detailed headphone

Ultrasone HFI-580 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 580)
    £119.95 - A little lighter on the bass but fantastic stereo imaging

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £134.95 - These would be perfect for this job and they even fold so you could take them on long flights or for travelling in general

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95 - These are very similar to the M50, a little larger but they also have replaceable cables and even tougher construction

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones
    £149.99 - These sound great and are really tough, hand made in Germany

The DT770 80ohms may need a small amp if being powered from a laptop - have a look at this combo -
    Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)
    £129.96 - These are superb
    +

FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier in Black (FiiO E-6)
    £19.99

Let me know if you have questions about any of these:)

3. HuskyMidget

HuskyMidget New Member

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I'm edging towards buying the DT770's and I've been reading around using an amp and was just wondering if there was much difference between the FiiO E6 and the FiiO E7?

Also if I'm going to be buying some decent headphones would FLAC files be a lot better than 320kbps MP3's?

Thanks. :)

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Flac

I always get FLAC's if I can and then make 320k CBR MP3's from the FLAC's.

5. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

You'll definetly need an amp to drive the 80ohm version of the DT770. I'm running these on my macbook pro, and i've got it hooked up to an ibasso d10 amp :) Those cans are highly recommended yo.

6. HuskyMidget

HuskyMidget New Member

I think I'll probably do the same,

:) My main choice at the minute is between the 80Ω and 250Ω DT770s. I've read that the 80Ω are a little more bassier and the 250Ω are a little more balanced. I wouldn't want the bass to be too overpowering. Also would a FiiO E7 be enough to amp both of them?

I won't have any money for a week or so, so I still have plenty of time to decide. :)

7. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

The 250ohm model is going to be hard to drive unless you buy a decent amp. Stick with the 32ohm.

8. HuskyMidget

HuskyMidget New Member

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was looking at getting a FiiO E9+E10 or even waiting until the FiiO E17 is released and combine that with the E9 instead of an E7 but (as it is probably fairly obvious) I have little knowledge of what would work best... etc.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  9. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

You're better off going with one of the iBasso range. I've not personally tried FiiO however, and the staff on here would be your first port of call :)

10. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The Fiio stuff is great! It is shockingly good value for money. As Trunkz says the iBasso stuff is seriously impressive. It outperforms the Fiio amps by using really nice components, but this comes at a price. Not had a go with the E17 yet - hopefully we will see one soon, the slimmer form is bound to see them sell like hotcakes!

The E9 is actually a really impressive bit of kit, I was very surprised at the power and clarity of this little beast, particularly running through the E7's DAC. I think you are on the right track. 80ohms is probably what I would go for with the DT770 - I struggle to really say that the 250ohms feels that different and it is very hard to see that it could be judgesd as objectively better for certain.

11. HuskyMidget

HuskyMidget New Member

I've stumbled across the V-Moda M-80's which look phenomenal and have a lot of great reviews. Just wondering if anyone's tried them out and how well they would work with my musical tastes although my main concern is with them being on-ear headphones so the isolation and comfortability might be lacking..

12. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Vmoda M80

Here's one:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/for...v-moda-v-80-m-80-stereo-headphone-review.html

13. HuskyMidget

HuskyMidget New Member

Hey thanks for that Dalethorn, must have missed your review when I was researching them. I am really tempted to buy them, the only problem being finding them in the UK. They're on Amazon for £160 but they were on the V-Moda website for £140 (with a 1/4" adapter, an audio only cable and a pair of faders (albeit in pink :p)) but with the VAT and shipping it would instead cost £185.

Just wondering if you happened to know if £160 is a reasonable price or if there was anywhere else I could buy them for a better price.

Also, would you suggest using an amp/dac with these?

thanks again

14. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Vmoda

I think £160 is reasonable, since I paid $230 USD (about the same) when they first came out, and the value is good. The M80 is efficient enough for iPods certainly, and produces the full range of sound very well on iPods, but using a good amp will of course improve the sound. How much improvement? I don't notice a major or very noticeable change using a good headphone amp, but after using the headphone amp for awhile and switching back to the iPod alone, the sound gets less spacious and has less "air", which is the best description I can give. So the difference is much more noticeable when going from amp to no amp, than going from no amp to amp.

But choose amps wisely - especially portable amps which vary a lot. Some of those may not do anything for you, depending on the headphone you use.

15. HuskyMidget

HuskyMidget New Member

Happen to have any suggestions to a decent amp/dac that would work well with these? ;)

Oo and I have a voucher code which gives £28.68 off the purchase on the V-Moda website so with everything included it would be £164. Just have to decide between getting more things included or having (probably) faster and easierdelivery.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  16. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headphone Amplifiers & DACs - Headphone Amps

This goes to the main page and headphone amps - I am slightly familiar with the iBasso and the Fiio portable amps, which are OK but I don't know which would be the best match. If you post in the headphone amp topic you should get a good answer.

Now if you go for the better more expensive like the Graham Slee Voyager, or one of Graham's desktop amps, I can predict you'll get the best results. But if you want to start small and less expensive, better to ask on the portable amps topic.

EDIT: You probably know this already, but you can expect better results if you connect from a "line out" on the music player to the input of the amp. Connecting from the player's headphone jack uses all of the player's internal amps, and really compromises sound quality.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  17. Rayleigh Silvers

Rayleigh Silvers New Member

I don't know much about amps but would the e5's be enough to drive the DT770's? The product description on their page says it can drive headphones with impedance from 16-300 Ohms