Full size headphones for £60?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Sebrogers92, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Sebrogers92

Sebrogers92 New Member

Jul 21, 2011

I am looking to invest in a pair of headphones to use with my pc for music, gaming and movies (in that order), my max budget is £60.

I am bored or scanning through endless websites and still not seeing a definitive winner so I thought I would ask the experts ;).

My taste in music leans towards the r&b, dubstep and club music so some cans with a bit of bass is a must. However I would also like a pair of headphones that sound clear across the whole range as I do venture to other genres when the mood strikes.

Comfort is also a priority as I hope to get a lot of use out of them. I am not worried about them being portable as I have portapros which suffice. Unlike my portapro though I do need something with low sound leakage, therefore closed back may be better suited.

To get things started I have looked at the Sony MDR-XB500s and 700s, which are meant to have lots of bass, but I am a little worried that they lack elsewhere. The Denon AH-D510s and Sony MDR-V6 look nice too. That's about as far as I've got.

Thanks in advance hope, I look forward to reading any replies.
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Sebrogers92

The Denon AH-D510s would be a great choice. Many full size headphones around this price point suffer from a lack of bass which is why many reviews will shout about this feature.

With the budget a designer has to spend on materials and technology something has to go at this price, if there was a headphone that had it all sorted for well under £100 then that headphone would be very popular (there is a challenge manufacturers).

Better materials (which means more expensive materials) make immediate sonic improvements, to get a seriously impressive headphone of professional quality though I don't believe you really have to spend over £160 - If you ever get the chance though try to have a listen to some of the crazy flagship models as they are truly stunning.