Full size headphones for iPhone

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by SigInTheHead, Jul 20, 2010.

1. SigInTheHead

SigInTheHead New Member

I'm hoping you can help, what I'm looking for is a full size headphone for my iphone, BUT I ideally want the iphone controls. I know the Monster Beats Studio would seem to fit the bill here, but i've read about on several forums and I don't want to go down that road.

In another post you recommended the Shure SRH-840 over the beats, these look very nice, and i noticed that the cable detaches from the headphone, which leads me to the following:

1). would the iphone cable from a set of Beats work with the SRH-840?

2). is the cable even available as a part?

3). if this is possible are there any other headphones this would work with?

Thanks

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi SigInTheHead,

The Monster Beats Studio is supplied with a "iSoniTalk" or a second cable with press to answer button and mic (iPhone / Blackberry) as I would have called it. This cable quite sensibly terminates in a mini jack with a corresponding 3.5mm female socket on the headphone body. This cable might work with one or two headphones but that is largely irrelevant as it is not available as an accessory.

Imagine if someone made a high quality version, one with a great button, high quality cable, a decent jack plug one end and a nice socket the other and a well placed mic. Well keep imagining because I have not seen it yet.

There are several similar things available in the box with other products but I have not seen a general proper audio quality version of this fabled cable. If you have, or if you do find one please post here! The B+W P5 also comes with two cables (one for iphone / Blackberry) and the WeSC range can now be found with mic and button built in so it looks like this type of functionality is here to stay. The Shure SRH840 is an amazing headphone and represents much better value for money than the Beats, I would buy the 840's and you will never want to answer your phone whilst listening to music.

Until someone releases an excellent solution to this you will have to decide which is more important Hands Free or Hi Fidelity.

It's Hi Fi by the way! : )

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. SigInTheHead

SigInTheHead New Member

thanks for the reply.

I can see i'm going to end up going with the headphones and forgetting the iphone functionality.

Given the price range £150 - £200 max what would you recommend?

my taste in music is quite eclectic, but i mostly listen to country / folk / metal, but i also listen to classical and everything in between.

I would prefer detail over bass, and closed back is a must, given that i'll be using them at work and travel.

thanks,

tim

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Although it is a bit of a stock tip of ours the Ultrasone HFi 780 represent incredible quality to price ratio. For the listener who has eclectic tastes and appreciates detail and musicality but needs a closed back these are an excellent choice. Please have a look at our new Ultrasone blog article which features a mini review of the 780's.

There are only a few genuinely portable audiophile closed backs - worth consideration but not as closer fit to your requirements are -

Beyerdynamic T50p - Beautiful quality, crisp and lively - unbeatable at their diminutive size. Super comfy with an industrial retro cool the price is the only drawback (£239.95) but if you can afford them they will blow you away.

Shure SRH 840 - You want HiFi Headphones but you are a Bass enthusiast and require both clarity and thundering drums and basslines, these are the very reasonably priced answer. Shures flagship fullsize cans have undeniable bass power but not at the expense of their crisp and clean top end.

Hope this helps Tim!