Gaming headphones in-ear or closed back - newbie question?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by KSlaney, Jul 14, 2013.

1. KSlaney

KSlaney New Member

Hello all,

I bought some db Logic EP200V from here in Feb to replace my iphone bog-standard awful fit headphones and I was blown away by the amazing sound quality.

Having experienced the awesome sound quality of the db logics I've been recently using them with my PC but unfortunately the one drawback is that their cable length is only 1.2m which is just too short (just 10cm more and the length would be just perfect). I'm currently using a old 2.5m extension cable - which is ridiculously big and having had a look at some other in-ear headphones, 1.2m does seem to be the standard and extension cables seem to be a minimum of 1.5m as well.

I'm debating whether to purchase one of the small adapter cable with angled jack connectors just to get over the 10cm issue, but in all honesty I think I'd like to buy a new set of headphones for my pc so I can use the db logics with my iphone which was the intended purpose.

I used to have a set of Creative HS-600 (closed back with mic) but they were very uncomfortable over long periods of wear (made the top of my head sore), so I'm a bit wary of going for another set of full closed back headphones unless they are really comfortable to wear for hours at a time.

Mainly these will be for gaming on PC, without the necessity for mic (with the occasional video/music) and they'd need to be closed or in-ear as husband is also a gamer & we don't want cross contamination of audio. Ideally the budget would be <£100.

So my questions to this forum:
    1) Is there a good set of in-ear headphones with a long than 1.2m cable I'd be better off buying?
    2) If the answer to 1 is no, should I invest in a good set of full closed back headphones?
    3) Depending on the answers to 1) & 2), do you have any suggestions that fit my budget?
    4) Or should I just spend the £44ish pounds to buy another set of the EP200V's with the adaptor?

Sorry for the hugely long-winded first post and any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi KSlaney,

Most of our in-ears come with 1.2m cables, there is one though that sounds like it might suit you - Shure SE215

They are great sounding, well in budget and they have a 162cm cable.

There are some full size that fall in budget, but I'm not sure they will sound better than the Shure SE215s to be honest.

3. KSlaney

KSlaney New Member

Terrific, thank you John - ordering a pair right now & I'll let you know how i get on.
    Kerri

4. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great! Glad to have helped

5. KSlaney

KSlaney New Member

Update on Shure SE215

Had my Shure SE215 for a few weeks now and they are really great.

PROS - Amazing clarity and depth plus the noise reduction is terrific. Cord length is perfect for front headphone socket on PC too.

CONS - I've struggled a little getting used to the loop over ear style and getting them in is still a bit fiddly.

Thank you John for the recommendation - these are brilliant.

6. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Shure SE215

Thanks for the feedback and mini review.

The entire Shure range is a solid choice - designed for professional use, but equally good for home and portable use.