GermanMAESTRO GMP400 - review

Discussion in 'Headphone Reviews' started by quadpatch, Jun 17, 2013.

1. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

This relatively unknown brand produces some great sound quality. If only their design, materials and comfort were as impressive they could really take off. The GMP400 is an open-back flagship priced at £200. Here's my full review:

Noble Hi-Fi: GermanMAESTRO GMP400 - review

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I read the review, which was nicely formatted. Any idea whether this headphone could benefit from tweaking, or would you guess it's already as good as it's going to get? The one and only review I saw on Amazon says the treble is a bit hot, but I got the idea from your review it's the opposite of that.

3. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Thanks Dale! The treble is really odd for me on the GMP400. On one hand it seems generally on the bright side, but quiet. I cranked the volume and the bass kicked in, then it seemed warm-ish, but lacking in sparkle. There are elements of brightness, but not too annoying if the amping is good, it's just not that exciting. Maybe it's really flat with an odd rolloff.

I should have tried some EQ but I'm afraid I didn't on this one. A lot of the other things I've tested lately I've not wanted to touch EQ with (Hifiman HE-400, Fostex TH600).

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

EQ is the difference between being able to take a chance on this item, and having to skip it entirely because of the expense of returning it. If the treble feels less than adequate, but it rolls off smoothly (i.e. it's not uneven), then a simple treble boost would probably fix it for me. The Sennheiser Momentum was an expensive mistake for me because of uneven treble (strong presence in lower treble but weak in upper treble), and without a treble boost the high highs were very weak (missing even), and with a boost the presence freq's became overbearing.

When a simple adjustment of bass or treble makes a marked improvement in the sound of a headphone (without serious side effects), then I like to let users know whether that's feasible or not, to save them an expensive disappointment taking an unnecessary chance on an item that won't improve markedly, and on the other hand to let them know there's a possibility of decent sound if they're interested in the item for any number of other reasons.

5. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

I know what you mean. For me if I have to EQ something then it's almost completely pointless because it annoys me too much having to do it with all the different devices and applications within that device. Like you I admit that the SoundMAGIC HP200 could do with a little treble reduction, but it's within the tolerances of enjoyment in general so I accept it as it is. If it was too far gone I would quite dislike them.

I initially enjoyed the Momentum. I think as a fun sounding headphone for the majority of people who will be listening to them mostly outside they are a revelation. For me mostly listening inside and on good amplification they rather fell down. I recently got some Amperiors and was much more impressed with them on the inside, they aren't too bad outside either. I can see why the Momentum appeal to most people more easily, but for me the Amperiors are a keeper, whereas the Momentum - not so much.