Getting the best out of my ipod classic

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by scotty069, Nov 28, 2012.

1. scotty069

scotty069 New Member

Im looking to get the best out of my ipod classic. Im currently using some shure IEMs direct from the headphone jack.

These sound great as long I dont move a muscle & they are also very uncomfortable.
    They are also dissapointingly quiet.

Should I be looking at getting a headphone amp,some new headphones or both?

I mainly listen to music at home so looks or sound leakage arent as important as sound,comfort & volume.

Any help gratefully received

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

If you like the sound of the Shure IEMs you should stick with them for the moment at least. It you are using the silicone tips them swap to the foam ones supplied with the earphones. If you are using the foam and they are still uncomfortable try these - T-100 Comply - Which are a softer kind of foam. If the discomfort is due to something else just say as there may still be a solution.

The reason I say stick with them for the moment is that you seem happy with the sound. This means you can access an amplifier currently and it should act in a similar way with a similar future purchase. If Money is not an obstacle (lucky you!) then you could go for a well known combination of amp and earphone. If the volume is too low an amp is definitely the solution, it also sounds like the jack socket is going on your iPod which means you should look at these as well as an amp -

FiiO L3 Line Out Dock Cable for iPod, iPhone & iPad in Black
    £7.00

These cables sound better because they miss out the last stage of the iPod signal path.

FiiO E11 Headphone Amplifier in Black (E-11)
    £55.00 - This is a great little amp at a bargain price but if you want something more complex, give me a budget and will suggest some others.:)

3. scotty069

scotty069 New Member

Thanks for the reply Robin

I am using the silicone tips & the foam ones are log since gone.I could of course get some more if you think that would help with the comfort issue.

Perhaps a bigger problem with the IEMs is that they only sound good if I dont move.As soon as I start to move at all they sound tinny & Im forever pushing them back into position which just isnt practical.

With regards to budget it all depends on wether I end up buying both the amp & headphones or just the amp.

If you think it may be worth spending a little more on an amp rather than wanting to change it 6 months down the line I would also be more enclined to do that

4. RobinHiFi

The issue with the sound is completely down to the tips. I get this too - the silicone ones never quite fit (especially in my right ear) and if I move around I lose all the bass. Two things work for me - Double or preferably triple flanged tips or the Comply tips/Shure Olive tips, like the ones you have now lost.

You can get the Shure replacements (if you remember liking them) here -

SHURE Tips -

It's not a bad idea to get one thing at a time so you can try it with mates headphones etc. but I am happy to suggest some combos:D

5. scotty069

scotty069 New Member

Morning Robin

I had a good look around at home last night & found a pair of the triple flanged tips so I will give them a try & let you know how I got on.

With regards to an amplifier I would rather spend more now than want to change 6 months down the line so Im open to suggestions.

The only thing I would say about the amp is I wouldnt want it to be too big or heavy because I do tend to listen to music on the move so it would always be in my pocket

6. RobinHiFi

Morning!

We really like this amp for use with IEMs -

FiiO E11 Headphone Amplifier in Black (E-11)
    £55.00

It's pretty impressive for the price and a decent size to go with an iPod classic. I really like the Just Audio amps - this is about as good as portable amps get, taking subjective tastes into account. You can even get them modified to your tastes by the manufacturer and they have a gain jumper system inside so they can be calibrated for a bigger or smaller drop in output.

Just Audio uHA-120 Headphone Amplifier Anodised Silver (uHA120)
    £219.95

There is always the chance you could kill two birds with one stone. If you could make use of a lovely quality DAC for a laptop or tower PC then this is a great little portable DAC amp with excellent features.

FiiO E17 Alpen Portable Headphone Amplifier & USB DAC (E-17)
    £100.00

If you can make use of the DAC feature this is the best value for money. For build quality and handmade British design the uHA-120 is a genuine pocket sized bit of Hifi. As an excellent quality but basic amp the E11 is is hard to argue with, if you simply need a volume boost and want this done cleanly and with no fuss at a pretty amazing price this is the way to go.:)

7. scotty069

scotty069 New Member

Just a few more questions I promise!!!!

Its a fair leap in price between the fiio e11 & the just audio amp is there anything you would recommend inbetween?

If I go for the cheaper e11 would that still do the job if I ended up with some bigger headphones?

I have no use for the usb dac btw so I kind of ruled that one out unless its that much better than the e11 at being an amp

8. RobinHiFi

The reason for the big gap in price is just because the Fiio E11 is made in China in a factory process whereas the Just Audio amps are made in the UK by hand. The guts of the Just Audio amps are similar in design to a highend mains amp. The circuit designs share nothing in common with other devices as they have been fully conceived by a British engineer and not cut and pasted existing circuitry. There is nothing wrong with factory made products from China (which is good as probably half of all electrical items are made there), but the Just Audio amps are the result of one man trying to make his perfect amp from the ground up. With less expensive headphones the difference between amps is not necessarily as big - the more detailed your headphones are the more subtle differences you would notice between amps - Just Audio have shot for perfection whereas Fiio have made a brilliant and affordable amp.

Go for the Fiio E11 as you don't need the DAC. Hifiheadphones.co.uk have an excellent returns policy. you should purchase it and test it out - if it's not what you were hoping for you will at least have a benchmark to judge against and you can return the amp and go for another. (goods must be returned in as close to as new condition as possible, but with the acception of products with hygeine issues you should always treat a new product as if you are testing it - if it isn't right send it back):)

9. scotty069

scotty069 New Member

Hi again Robin

Ive tried the triple flanged shure tips for a week or so & I must say they sound great & stay in place really well. The trouble is I find them really uncomfortable & after about 10 minutes or so I have to take them out.

Am I likely to find other tips a lot better or am I going to have to start looking at some on ear headphones?

Obviously I want something that sounds at least as good as the headphones I have & I suspect comfort is more important than I first thaught it was.

I am still looking at getting an amp btw so if you want to suggest combos thats fine

10. RobinHiFi

On ears can become uncomfortable for long periods of time because they press on the outer ear. A headphone with slightly larger cups but a folding headband may work well -

Let me know if I have the pricepoint wrong, If you are using an amp you have a wider choice as you can go for slightly harder to drive headphones. It is quite a hard job to pick a suitable headphone for travelling. Most full sizze are quite big but you know you will get great sound and a bit more comfort -

On ear -
    SoundMAGIC P30 Foldable Closed Back Headphones in Black
    £69.00

AiAiAi Capital Closed Back Headphones with Mic in Midnight Black
    £89.95

Audio Technica ATH-ES55 Foldable On-Ear Headphones in Black
    £89.99

Pioneer SE-MJ591 Foldable Closed Back Audiophile Headphones
    £124.96

Full size -

Shure SRH440 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 440)
    £79.96

GermanMAESTRO GMP 250 Closed Back Hi-Fi Headphones (GMP250)
    £124.00

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)
    £126.95

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £144.95

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £145.00

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones
    £149.00