Goalposts moved again !!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by johnnyboy, Mar 24, 2013.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

Budget has now increased to £150 (happy days ) I am after a closed back headphone that doesn't need an amp for an Ipod , is comfortable and can be used out and about , I like many genres of music with the exception of heavy metal and today's dance music . Its getting very frustrating , I must have read 1000's of reviews thinking I have found the right ones only to be put off by a negative review about them !!

Please Help !

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I just bought a Bose AE2i for $179 USD - love them. Ignore the bad reviews, but be sure(!) to get new production and genuine manufacture - not the knockoffs that look good on the website until you get them. Sites that say "genuine" can't be trusted unless, like this site here, are well known and respected and you've done the research. There may be something available here that sounds as good as the AE2i, is as comfortable, fits as perfectly, but I can't think of one off the top of my head. A good starting point at the least.

3. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

Thanks for the reply Dale , the phones I am leaning towards at the moment are the AKG K550 , Shure SRH840 , Ultrasone Pro 550 or the Audio Technica A500x or AKG271 mkii .Would any of these be suitable do you think ? I wear glasses not sure if that affects anything at all

Many thanks

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

For AKG 550 I would read the Headfonia review and comments. The Shure 840 would be much less fidelity I think. The K271 I'm not familiar with - for that one I would read all the Amazon reviews from most recent to oldest. Then I would probably go with the ATH A500x anyway. I love the AT sound.

5. Cliff277

Cliff277 New Member

The glasses should be fine.

6. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

The A500x is a great sounding headphone, but the headband isn't the most streamline and the fit on the head can be quite loose - might not be ideal for using out and about.

Another headphone well worth a look at is the GermanMAESTRO GMP8.35D

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones

£160.00

They have amazing sound quality, great isolation and are practically indestructible!

7. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

Well finally made my choice after months of research on here and other headphone sites out there and went for the Philips Fidelio L1/00 with a Fiio E7 and I have to say I am loving them . I'm not an audiophile by any means but this combination works for me very well , so many thanks for all replies I am officially a happy bunny !