Goldring GX200 vs Ultimate Ears 3 Studio opinions please

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by penk174, Jan 13, 2009.

1. penk174

penk174 New Member

Hi
    I was hoping some people out there might be able to give me some advice, I'm looking to buy some IEM's but as it's not possible to demo them I was wondering if people could give me there opinions. I've been looking at either the Goldring GX200 or Ultimate Ears 3 Studios. Both sound like they're well thought of on these forums but I don't think I've read a direct comparison of the two?

Initially I was more tempted by the Ultimate Ears but the Goldrings are significantly less in price - I've seen some for £25 brand new!

So, I'm looking to use these primarily when I go to the gym and some commuting on the tube. The type of music I listen to is stuff like The Killers, Snow Patrol and Lost Prophets. I'm not looking for super bassy sound, just something that is fairly accomplished across the range.

Comfort is obviously important but both sets sound like they have plenty of options, including the foam attachments.

One final thing, could people also give there opinion of the difference in sound quality between regular tips and the foam tips.

I'll be using these with my new Ipod Nano, i've not even tried the packaged ipod earphones, instead i'm using the earphones that came with my previous MP3 player (Philips HDD6330) they are IEMs.

Thanks very much

2. squarepusher

squarepusher New Member

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 v Goldring GX200

I went for the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 as the over ear loop is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm using my earphones in the gym and need an earphone that is going to stay put and not suffer from transmission noise up the cable. I've found my Sennheiser CX300's suffer from transmitting a dull thud up the cable every time the cable bounces against my clothing.