Good pair of portables.

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by davidc, Jul 7, 2011.

1. davidc

davidc New Member

Hi

Currently looking round for some portable headphones to be used out unamped out of an ipod touch 3rd gen 64 gig. Currently use iems of various designs (westone2, klipsch x10 that sort of thing). Main use would be at work in a v.noisy environment. As a guide I have the bw p5 and their isolation isn't enough. I listen to mainly progressive rock (bands like Magnum, Marillion, Pendragon etc). Narrowed it down to either sennheiser hd25 II or Beyerdynamic dt1350. Any other suggestions welcomed (guess something like the audiotechnica m50?) As a guide when not using iems at work I'm using a bodged pair of ear defenders and a pair of px100 drivers inside the cups! Effective but not particularly elegant.

Cheers

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Davidc

Sounds to me like you are getting close - B&W-P5 are rich and warm (beautiful looking) but lack a tiny bit in the detail and can be a little woolly at the bottom, saying that they are lovely all in all.

Sennheiser HD25 II are very similar sound-wise, warm,and rich, with better isolation and every single bit is replaceable in case of disaster. Tough and comfy, thats why so many audio professionals use them, these are a good choice.

Beyerdynamic DT1350 in my opinion are what I would pick instead of the P5. They are not quite as pretty looking but have a similar feel with better hold over the bass and more detail in the rich mids whilst retaining a comfortable top end. Great case included for those who travel a lot.

Audio Technica M50
    is really impressive and only a little bigger than the HD25 and DT1350. They do fold for travel - a clean and crisp quite neutral presentation, again in the same vain sound-wise as the previous two. These are sturdy and well though out and would make excellent all rounders.

I would also add Shure SRH840 and Shure SRH940. People should buy the one that fits their budget but these are similar to a AT M50 with replaceable cable, comfier larger pads and a sturdier headband. The SRH940 is a nicely upgraded SRH840, I really liked them but these might be getting a bit big in size for your uses.

Feel free to ask me more about individual models:)

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I forgot to say that all of these will power well from an iPOD but they are all of a quality that improvements to the source will give improvements in sound. A Line Out Dock connector and an amp will get a bit more out of these, HD25 and DT1350 both benefit from extra gain as they are a little harder to drive:)