Good / tough portable headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by UndefinedMemory, Mar 5, 2012.

1. UndefinedMemory

UndefinedMemory New Member

Hi,

A friend of mine is looking to get some new headphones. The ones she has are pretty basic: alright sound quality, but pretty poor treble, with a good amount of bass, but horrible sound isolation. They fold flat so they're good to stick in a bag, which is something she wants in her new pair. She listens to a lot of different stuff, but definitely wants good, solid bass.

My first thought was the V-Moda M80. I got a pair for my girlfriend for christmas and she absolutely loves them. Tough as anything, with good sound and great bass. But I might have a hard time convincing my friend that it's worth spending the money on them. And I don't think she cares enough about the sound quality to warrant the recommendation, so I had a look on the site for other suggestions.

The Top 10 guide has two that seem like good options: the SoundMagic P30 and Audio-Techica ATH-ES55. Both fold flat, which is great. I'm sure the sound quality on both is so much better than what she has now that she'll be happy with either. Which of these would be the more durable pair? Which has more bass? Do they both isolate well? Do either have any warranty? I can't find any information on their descriptions about the warranty.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Chase

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Chase, hope you are doing well!

These two both have a full years UK warranty. They are pretty similar products and both would work well in her situation. They are both on ear and fold, cabling is nice quality and a sensible length on both. The Audio Technicas just have the edge and feel a little slicker sounds and looks wise but in truth the two are very close in quality. I would let budget guide the purchase as I have nothing negative to say about either. They are both very popular and get great feedback from users - plenty of bass and they are designed to be used in exactly the way your friend wants.:)

Audio Technica ATH-ES55 Foldable On-Ear Headphones in Black
    £89.99

SoundMAGIC P30 Foldable Closed Back Headphones in Black
    £69.00

3. UndefinedMemory

UndefinedMemory New Member

Good to hear! Thanks.