Goodbye Apple support for analog headphone amps

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by dalethorn, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Some would say that the industry should move towards using whatever dock connector Apple goes with as it would be more reliable and better designed:) Apple do a really good job and I can see why they want to develop their own products fully as so many common connection methods are rubbish but you do get the feeling that no manufacturers really do care about their impact on resources. The world today is a list of things which look like a bad idea from most angles:(

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

For me it means that my analog headphone amps will not work with the new dock, since the new dock has no analog signal at all. That's bad. But what's worse is that the digital output also does not support any of the common digital amps (i.e. DACs) because the digital signal is proprietary to Apple, and requires a very expensive DAC licensed by Apple. Now that is something I refuse to go along with. Fine that they have their proprietary digital signal, but then eliminating all support for analog headphone amps? That's going too far.

4. marcusd

marcusd Member

Sounds like great news for Fostex, ALO Audio and the slew of lifestyle audio docks "made for ipod". Never a better time to buy an SIII or a cheap HD Zune ;)

5. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

I heard that the converter will have analogue out support, but this means its got it's own DAC in it. What a weird way of doing things. I have been tempted to switch to Apple a few times but then a slew of reasons put me off. If the vamp for iPhone 5 was any good I might be tempted again... maybe.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

So we have an integrated DAC in the phone, and a proprietary digital out that bypasses most or all(?) of the internal stuff and feeds the external DAC, which will give ___ quality.

Don't assume Apple might make a good decision on the external DAC. The iphone 5 camera is worse (smaller sensor and greater smearing), and the iphone4s with iStreamer was clearly worse than the much cheaper (but real USB) Headstreamer from the same company.

7. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Oh I wasn't assuming it would be good. Apple made a new proprietary connector so they can rake in the cash, again. Everyone loses but Apple with this move, but the consumers will lap it up as always. I realise that they're not going to be giving out good components in there :p. Yes the whole new connector is a shambles, I would say a missed opportunity but Apple don't care about the consumer's benefit.

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The puzzling thing is, why would they make a larger phone with a smaller camera and sensor? The reviewers are all over that one scrambling to put a positive spin on it, but the results on the serious sites show the greater smearing from the heavier noise reduction they're doing because of the smaller sensor. So if Apple has some magic up its sleeve to justify that one, I'll return to the altar with my regular offering.

9. krismusic

krismusic Member

I use the adaptor (with cable) and am very happy with it.

10. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Currently you can get 2 Apple adapters with the DAC chip (same as the internal DAC) - the small adapter or the one with the cable. The sound is about the same as from the older 30-pin dock output. But there is also a wave of new amps that get the digital output directly from the Lightning port (and the older 30-pin ports too) - amps which include a high-quality Apple-compatible DAC so you bypass the i-device DAC for best sound.

I hear this is one of the best (if not the best):

Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC, Headphone Amplifier & Apple Line-In

11. krismusic

krismusic Member

Sadly that is way out of my price range. If the new adaptor offers sound that's as good as the old 30pin then I really do not see a problem.