Grado GR10 sibilance hiss

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by yadnom1973, Aug 7, 2014.

1. yadnom1973

yadnom1973 New Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Hi, I needed some earphones and saw these on ebay so I put in a bid and to my surprise I won. These are by far the best set I have ever had and as soon as I put them on they sounded great if a little thin. Later on I put on a audio book as I was going out and found the sibilance so bad I had to turn it down to the point where I could not really hear it too well on public transport. When I got back I tried it with some more rocky tracks and found that with things like Blonde or Nick cave that the singing, as well as the symbols and such had this painful sibilance hiss in the high range.
    With the right track they sound really good but with other stuff turning the base right up makes it fill out but when they start on the symbols it just turns into a bit of an mess.
    My ears are getting more used to it but still is this normal? and is there anyway to help them along, the tips fit well into my ears but I thought maybe there are others I should try? Or should I get a little amp I can equalise on?
    I don't know much about this kind of thing so any advice would be appreciated.
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    There are many factors that contribute to sibilants, so it's hard to guess. But the best guess is you're not getting the correct seal in your ear canals with the eartips that you have on the earpieces now.
  3. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Comply foam tips are a good way of softening bright earphones - the GR10s take T-200 tips.

What size tips do you use at the moment?