Grado GW-100 Wireless Headphone followup review

Discussion in 'Headphone Reviews' started by dalethorn, Oct 5, 2018.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Obsessive Auditor

Youtube review:

This followup review of the Grado GW-100 addresses 4 issues that I considered in my original review process, but did not include in that review because there were too many things to cover:

Q) Is the GW100 a bridge between lightweight portable headphones like the eGrado and "over-ear" models like the Prestige series (SR60 to SR325)?

A) I don't think so. Ignoring wireless features for the moment, the GW100 is more-or-less the same size and driver type as the Prestige series, and in my opinion the sound signature and quality is on a par with those headphones. In wireless/Bluetooth mode, some high-resolution detail is necessarily lost, but even when all Bluetooth codecs become full Redbook CD quality, you still won't hear the full detail when walking around outdoors or doing things other than just listening indoors.

Q) Apple's Airpods are wireless and non-isolating. How do they relate to the wireless and non-isolating GW100?

A) The Airpods aren't directly comparable, since they're not an ear-canal IEM nor an earbud like the original Apple earbuds. The Airpods (and the wired Earpods) sit in the outer ear, but their sound is highly variable depending on how close the sound-ports sit to the ear canal openings. In my case the bass is weak and the treble way too strong, but for other users the balance may be better. Whereas the better IEMs have a true high-fidelity sound, the Airpods design doesn't quite get there, although with careful equalization they can sound fairly good.

Q) What sort of options are available to get the best sound from the GW100 in wired mode?

A) One good feature of the GW100 is having a true passive wired mode, since there are some Bluetooth headphones today that require their electronics to be active even when a cable is plugged in. Even better is the fact that the GW100 sound signature is essentially the same in wired or wireless mode, unlike some headphones that EQ the Bluetooth sound because their passive sound lacks fidelity.

The GW100 can be plugged into most DACs and headphone amps with the supplied cable, and a 6.35 mm (1/4 inch) plug added as necessary. Whether a different cable can sound better or not I don't know. When using the GW100 with a modern iPhone that lacks a 3.5 mm jack, you can use Apple's little $9 dongle that contains a DAC (the Lightning port has no analog audio), or use the Belkin 3.5 mm to Lightning cable to eliminate the dongle.

Q) If the GW100 was tuned for the most natural sound with acoustic and refined music (traditional classics, jazz, etc.), would it be less suitable for other types such as EDM, Rock, or Metal?

A) Grado headphones have a solid reputation among fans of Rock music, and I have a representative collection of Rock, Metal, and EDM myself. So following that line of thought, I'm including 16 music tracks in this review which are very different from those in my original review, to see how the GW100 performs with other genres. Caveat: I'm not testing this headphone with any purely artificial or experimental music. Note that the GW100 was evaluated here without tone controls or equalization.

Above & Beyond - We're All We Need (feat. Zoe Johnston): A very nice tight but impactful bass with crystal clear vocals - the GW100 plays this with great ambiance.

Anamanaguchi - Planet: A complex mix of percussion sounds and hummed vocals. The bells and other high-frequency percussion are highly detailed, the bass line has good impact, and the bass detail is surprisingly good.

Armin van Buuren - J'ai Envie de Toi (Orig Mix feat Gaia): Decent bass impacts, breathy vocals, lots of fun noise - the GW100 plays this perfectly.

Avicii - Feeling Good: Classic female vocal in movie-theme style - the GW100 brings this to life like nothing else I've heard.

Carl Kennedy-Tommy Trash ft Rosie Henshaw - Blackwater (Original Master): Nice strong tight bass impacts, female vocal, rendered delectably by the GW100.

Crystal Castles - Wrath of God: Atmospheric tune with vocal sound effects and strong bass line, plus some unique treble percussion sounds. The GW100 brings these unique sounds to life.

Digitalism - Pogo: A driving beat with a detailed bass synth and great vocals ("There's something in the air...") - the GW100 makes this very enjoyable.

Dino Lenny-Lino Di Meglio - We Will Make It: Atmospheric tune with mixed vocals - the female vocal is a special treat with the GW100.

DJ Shadow - Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt: High-pitched tones and strong deep piano chords with a hummed female vocal - ultra-cool with the GW100.

Fairmont - Poble Sec: Awesome detailed bass impacts with some nifty pingy guitar/synth effects. I discovered this tune at the time I purchased a v-moda M100 - the GW100's reproduction is not as dark and bassy, but definitive nonetheless.

Giuseppe Ottaviani - Lost for Words (On Air Mix feat Amba Shepherd): Strong bass impacts behind a female voice - a large-scale sweeping sonic image reminiscent of epic adventures in an exotic land. The GW100 is playing on a whole new level here.

Hecq - Enceladus (With Skyence): Prodigious deep bass and clean at that. This tune's melody is more abstract than most of the others here, but the GW100 makes it a real adventure.

Katy B - Crying For No Reason (Tom Shorterz Remix): Oh myyyyy, I love Katy B. The vocal mix here is awesome and the bass is solid. This is the GW100 at its best.

Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch: I first heard this in The September Issue film and soundtrack, as the backdrop for the opening catwalk (watch Andre grinning at 1:51 - all you need to know) - the GW100 plays this amazing tune perfectly.

Lee and Malinda - Truth Will Set You Free (V-Moda Mix): Lee Kalt is the master, this is the masterpiece. The drum (or tom-tom) hits here have a very realistic skin-tone, the female vocal is seamlessly integrated into the driving beat, and the synth effects also blend well - the GW100 just owns this.

Markus Schulz - Mainstage: The granddaddy of synth bass is in this track, and while the GW100 plays it with a decent amount of drama, this type of synthetic bass falls outside of the GW100's design scope.

Last word: Anyone playing these tracks on the GW100 who has come from other Grado headphones will likely be pleasantly surprised by the sonics here, but others who come from using darker bassier headphones might not appreciate the abundance of treble energy in this music.

2. dalethorn

I finally configured my best-guess EQ curve for the GW-100, based as usual on reducing peaks and recesses, toward achieving a real-world natural sound. This is a better result than what I got with the SR325e, and much better than my GH1 (although the wood for the GH1 naturally varies from sample to sample). The actual settings are in the HiFi Misc./EqAppReview document.

Although I haven't been able to determine the comparative fidelity vis-a-vis the other Grados (I don't have those on hand), I was able to get a pretty good handle on the deep bass quality after boosting 35 hz by 3 db. Playing the Kellogg Auditorium 16 hz sample organ pedal track, I was surprised at the amount of fundamental (including 32.7 hz doubling I'd guess) as well as the detail of the 16 hz 'beats'.

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Grado_Gw100.jpg

3. dalethorn

Tonight, 7-1/2 days after receiving the GW100, the factory battery charge finally ran out. While I did quite a bit of listening in wired mode at home (and the sound is excellent), I'd guess my Bluetooth use amounted to far more than the rated 15 hours during these 7-1/2 days. The first few days were pretty intense doing various tests, with lots of outdoor listening in areas with moderate to low noise levels. As best I remember, the low-power voice warnings started about 45 minutes before the "power off" notice occurred, as the headphone shut off -- out of power. The good news is there was no distortion or interruption (other than the voice warnings at ~5 min. intervals) to compromise the sound as the power wound down.

4. dalethorn

I came across this interesting review on the 'MajorHiFi' site, and thought it would be worth highlighting here, because of the unique design of the GW100 as an open-back wireless headphone. Here are a few excerpts and a link:

"As an open-back wireless headphone, this model has almost no competitors."

"Compared to models from Audio Technica, Sony, Sennheiser, Marshall, Bowers and Wilkins, and Bose, nothing at this price point can even compete with the GW100 in terms of sheer sound quality."

"For those seeking isolation, choose any of the above and enjoy what you can. For the rest of ya, this Grado is everything you could want in a headphone."

http://majorhifi.com/grado-gw100-review/

5. dalethorn

I added a new video to address additional questions: