Grado Headphone Help

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Viola, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Viola

Viola New Member

Hello,
    I am new to the headphone world and feeling overwhelmed by it all. I would like to buy some headphones for that will run fine on my MP3 player (8gb Sansa Fuze). I'm interested in some Grado's but I am having troubles deciding what is best for me.

The Grado SR225i look good for me as the description says they are good for classical music which is what I listen to most. I was thinking of getting an adapter cable for the SR225i so it could plug into my MP3 player. Is this a good idea or would an MP3 player not be giving the SR225i justice? If not, would some sort of amp fix the problem? I have done research on amps but I'm completely overwhelmed by all the choices and deciding whether I will really need one.

Would a SR80i be a more convenient option with decent sound quality as they are made with the right size plug in for MP3 use?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Grado Headphones

The entire Grado headphone range is sensitive enough to be powered by the humble iPod's headphone output, even the top of the range GS1000i.

The Grado SR225i is an excellent headphone. I would say this headphone is the best value of the Grado range. An excellent balance between price and performance. It's at this point where Grado headphones start to open up and offer a bigger soundstage.

With the higher end Grados (SR125i and up) there's often some benefit gained from amping, but it's definitely not something you would need initially. Maybe this is an upgrade to think about once you are used to how the Grados sound.

As regular forum readers know I'm a big fan of the entire Grado line-up.