Grado or K701? Amp?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Vic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Vic

Vic New Member

Hi!
    I am looking to get headphones for use at home. Out and about I'm using the circumaural Bose headphones and quite like them. However, they do make my ears feel a bit hot after a time and generally "get on my nerves" after some time. I can't tell why, though.
    Anyway, I was wondering if you could advise me on headphones around £200 for classical music (piano music doesn't sound that great on my speakers or the bose). As a source, I'd most likely use my macbook or an ipod.
    I somehow like the idea of the K701s, because I find they look pretty on the photo, however I have heard the K701s are difficult to power. Which amp would be the cheapest possible?
    Thanks!!!!

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Grado or AKG K701

The AKG K701 (now replaced by the K702) is particularly difficult to drive and you really wouldn't be getting the best out of them with an iPod or computer soundcard. In fact in my experience you would not even be able to hear the audio sufficiently with an iPod.

Headphones like the AKG K701 really need a mains powered desktop headphone amp (or a very good quality headphone output, e.g. studio mixing desk headphone monitoring output) to drive them. For example the Graham Slee Solo or Novo would be suitable.

Grado headphones on the other hand are much easier to drive and can be driven by portable audio devices and computers with no problem. You will get more out of higher end models, e.g. Grado SR325is, by driving them via a decent headphone signal, but it's not a requirement.

3. Vic

Vic New Member

Grado 325

Hi Shaun,
    thanks a lot!
    I am now seriously considering a Grado. Do you think it is possible to hear the benefits of the 325s on an iPod (songs riped at 192bit)?
    Should I rather spend less on the headohone (i.e. go for a 125) and get a small headphone amp for £100?
    THanks again, Vic

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Grado SR325is v AKG K701

If it were my money I would go for the best headphone I could afford without the amp initially. You will then have future potential with your setup, should you choose to improve it further.

In my opinion you will get more for your money by spending it on higher end headphones initially

It's similar to regular HiFi, where the normal advice is to start with the best speakers you can and then build a system from there.

The above is just my opinion. Might be worth asking people on AVForums.com and Head-fi.org for their opinions also.