Grado sr80is or audio-technica Ws55i Or ATH-ES55

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Clockworkalien, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Clockworkalien

Clockworkalien New Member

So I think these are the three pairs I've narrowed it down to. I'm going to be using them out and about. Read some reviews saying the grado ones leak a lot. Is it so bad you can't wear them on the tube? If not are these a better shout than the other ones? Look for something relatively sturdy and that is good for a wide range of music: I.e. electro hip hop and rock to listen to on my i touch. Would really appreciate some advice!

Thanks!

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Grados

Funny thing - the Grados don't just leak sound - they are designed to use the full depth of the earcup to create their sound field, from front to back, and so there's just about as much sound coming out of the back of those earcups as the front (the part that your ears get close to).

3. Clockworkalien

So is that a no on that front for using those ones on the tube? What do you reckon to the other pairs? I was also considering the Bose 0e2'sbut they don't seem to get as good a rating? I'm upgrading from a pair of Panasonic HTX7E-A for a bit more substance over style although those seemed good for the price....

Thanks for your help!

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Portable

Closed Back Headphones

This is what I would pick from. Not sure what your limit is, but there are some fine headphones in there, not all of them I'm familiar with.

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

What is your budget Clockworkalien? Also what are you mostly listening to?

6. Clockworkalien

Mostly electro but I do sometimes listen to rock and hip hop. My budget is about 150 at very max (ideally with a case)... I could go for closed backs I'm just a bit daunted by all of the options!

7. wiplash

wiplash New Member

As someone who just signed up to the forum to ask for a new headphone reccomendation here are my two cents :)

i currently have the Grado SR80i's and use them out and about pretty much everyday
    the open backed-ness isn't that big of a problem for me, people might be able to hear what I'm listening too but that's not very bothering especially as it isn't that loud unless you have it cranked.
    The open backed design does become a problem when competing with background noise. For example walking down a road i have my music on 50-60% volume i can hear cars and close noises which helps awareness and isn't bothering, then you walk past roadworks, you can't hear your music over the drill and have to turn it up to 80-90% and as soon as the roadworks fades away the 80-90% volume becomes uncomfortable and you have to turn it down again
    The other problem is durability, that's not to say that they are tacky at all. the design of the ear cups being able to rotate 360 - with two cables - means they get tangled extremely easily which if you don't look after twists the wiring inside. And the connection of the wires to the ear cups isn't the most durable, my first set pulled loose (although they were second hand)

hope this helps these are just the reasons i was looking into new headphones.

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Durable headphone

For durability and great sound I like the German Maestro, but they do cost more than the Grado 80's.

9. Rayleigh Silvers

Rayleigh Silvers New Member

I would wholeheartedly recommend the WS55. They have amazing bass, in both quality and quantity, but it doesn't bleed into the midrange. I really enjoyed listening to them a lot. Only problem is the comfort. I found them very painful, but the people over at head-fi say you just have to stretch them between some books for a few days and they loosen up. If you live in Birmingham, the HMV store in the bullring has them on display to try out, along with other portable headphones in your price range so if you live there you could bring your MP3 player and try them out.