Graham Slee Voyager or Ibasso D2+?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by DaeO, Sep 3, 2009.

1. DaeO

DaeO New Member

Hi all

I am looking to finally add a portable amp to my arsenal, and I have wittled it down to these two.

The DAC side of the D2+ is irrelevant to me - I only use my iPod for portable use.

Size isn't too much of an issue either, as I don't intend to use it jogging or anything!

I have read many views and reviews across the www, but no direct comparisions of these two.

Looking for any opinions of which one to go for

Thanks in advance

David

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Graham Slee Voyager versus iBasso D2

The Graham Slee Voyager and the iBasso D2+ are both excellent portable headphone amps.

The Graham Slee Voyager has a warm sound signature, which can help to add some depth to the bass of headphones that are on the bright side. In my experience the iBasso D2+ is a little more linear in it's response.

The size and aesthetics of the Voyager leave something to be desired, when compared with the iBasso.

No matter which amp you choose I would recommend taking the audio signal from the line out (30 pin connector on the base of the iPod) with a Line Out Dock cable, e.g. iBasso CB03. This is a proper line level signal and clearer than the headphone output.

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Graham Slee Voyager or iBasso D2

I was just having a think about this. Have you considered the iBasso P3+ as this is purely a headphone amp and also comes with the option of changing the sound signature by swapping opamps and buffers. All the effort with this amp has been put into the headphone output stage, so if you don't need a DAC this may be worth looking at.

This iBasso P3 also has a much higher output power than the rest of the iBasso range, making it suitable for the higher impedance full size headphones like the Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT990.