HD 212 pro upgrade

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by jamesy999, Feb 16, 2010.

1. jamesy999

jamesy999 New Member

I bought my HD 212 pro's a couple of years back and have been reasonally happy with them. I do like a bit of bass and at the time of buying i was listening to alot of electronic music with heavy basslines and the phones suited me. However i'm now listening to a more varied range of music and the 212's just don't seem to complement it. The mids and the highs and seriously lacking detail. Also my expectations of a phone have moved on and i now feel the bass although powerful and lound can be a little sloppy and not 'punchy' enough.

Anyway i've decided to buy a more rounded/detailed set of phones. I've narrowed it down to a few based on the fact they MUST be closed backed and i'll be useing them mainly with my Archos 5. I would be willing to add a pre-amp for the right phones.

Senn HD 25 sp
    Senn HD 215
    Senn HD 280 pro
    Senn HD 448
    Senn HD 338
    Beyernamic DT 235

Now i love Sennheiser Headphones and i wouldn't normally consider anything else but the DT 235's have got rave reviews. The sound quality sounds exactly what i'm after and they look, and have been rated, very comfy. The HD 448's were my initial choice but reading the reviews they lack a bit of bass impact as do the HD 280 pro's, although they both seem to excel in the mids and highs. From what i've heard the 438's have a tighter, less boomy bass than the 448's? The HD 215's are the obvious upgrade and they get pretty good reviews but i was really hopeing to step up a bit further. The hd 25 sp's are at the top of my budget but from what i hear they are a fantastic set of cans and worth the extra money.

If anyone owns/owned any of these phones and can give me some sound advice it would be much appreciated. Particulary any side by side comparisons.

Many thanks, James.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi jamesy999,

If you have the money then I cannot recommend the Sennheiser HD25sp enough. I have had one of these for 13 years, I find them durable, lightweight and as soon as you hear them you know exactly where the money was spent, where it should be, on really great drivers.

These are used by Soundmen in TV and Film and found in music studios and on the heads of top flight DJ's.

Pro headphones for under £100!:)

3. geoffbrecker

geoffbrecker New Member

Sennheiser HD25sp

+1

4. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

Hi.......... I listen to electronic and rock music and I have been using a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 pro for the past 4 months and although they can be lacking a little bit as far as bass is concerned I've found them lightweight and very comfortable for extended listening.

At £85 I reckon they punch their weight !

5. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Sennheiser HD212 Pro upgrade

Another one to consider is the excellent Audio-Technica ATH-ES55. This is a very enjoyable and practical headphone for portable use. This headphone has recently been getting some excellent reviews and awards.

Well worth checking out.

[​IMG]

6. tiduslrg

tiduslrg New Member

Very interesting. thank you for sharing!

7. stevengamel

stevengamel New Member

No way! I'd say the HD280 Pro is the clear route to take. Those things are amazing to say the least. There's a reason why you see them all ver the place. In pro sound studios to boom guys to directors. Everybody uses them. Amazing isolation, clear, flat sound, all replaceable parts and the just perform under any conditions. Great pair of cans.