Headhones for £150 (Closed back)

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Rapid7, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Rapid7

Rapid7 New Member

I'm looking for some headphones for music listening only.I mainly listen to 80's - 90's music but this can be anything from pop to dance music so would like some decent bass.Have a budget of around £150 and will be powering them from a creative x-fi titanium HD sound card.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Rapid7

Hope you are OK with me borrowing from previous posts, the question of contemporary sounding full sized closed back headphones for £150 has appeared many times before. This is obviously because so many of us now enjoy TV, Films, Games and Music through computers and smartphones whilst others are present. If you have not tried anything similar to these before they will simply blow you away, £150 is an excellent budget which gets you a really well made sturdy pair of pro standard headphones with comfort and isolation.

Here are some models I would suggest -

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £124.96

or

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95

or

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones

£159.00
    I am not a fan of the Monster Beat stuff at all, they do not just emphasise the bass they allow it to dominate the rest of the sound leaving the mids wimpy and distant. They are also horrifically over priced, ignore this fashion trend and avoid disappointment. These headphones far outstrip the beats for sound and build quality.

Have a quick look at this thread involving Rancid Badger

and this thread involving jamesg094

These are fantastic headphones which isolate well, are comfy, are very sturdy and have a very pleasing sound whilst being very easy to drive. The Shure are a little bit more armoured and have a replaceable cable but this accounts for the difference in price. Both feel exciting and have plenty of detail but also a strong and authoritative bottom end, the overall feel is just on the warm side of balanced. I am very fond of the near indestructibility of the German Maestro GMP 8.35 D:)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. Rapid7

Rapid7 New Member

Hi Robin,

I've been looking at the Shure 840's & also the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 will you be stocking the PRO700MK2's at all ?

Will have a look around for some reviews on the GMP 8.35 D's as well.

Thanks again, Paul.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Paul:)

There isn't much about German Maestro as they have only just begun to sell them outside Germany. As you might expect they take the build quality very seriously! They remind me of Beyerdynamic sound-wise (and build-wise I suppose being handmade) but they are a little more authoritative, slightly less airy more sculptural - it is subtle. The GMP 8.35D is also nearly indestructible, first time I spoke to German Maestro on the phone they made me go get one of these and stamp on it! They remind me of the Beyer DT770 but lower ohm and much smaller for taking them with you.

ATH-PRO700MK2 have not been added to the website as their predecessor did not sell well, we will get them in eventually but they will have to wait. It is a lot of work to add new products and unfortunately for the really quite nice ATH-PRO700MK2 you are the first person to ask me if we will be stocking them.

Shure SRH840 are really hard to beat at their price - looks, comfort, practicality, great sounds and a bargain at the price. Not really surprising they are popular:D

5. Rapid7

Rapid7 New Member

Hi Robin,

So the bass on the Shure 840's is quite decent?

Thanks, Paul.

6. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Just spotted this post went unanswered. Robin is on holiday!

Yes, the bass on the SRH-840 is quite powerful. Interestingly the sound signature of the Audio-Technica M50 is actually very similar, which makes it a really tough choice between these two as the M50 is much cheaper.