Headphone Alternative

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by chasethehaggis, Jun 23, 2010.

1. chasethehaggis

chasethehaggis New Member

Hi,

I am a complete newbie on this topic so excuse my ignorance.

I bought a set of Sennheiser HD 465 a while back to plug into my amp for night alternative to the full 5.1 on my home cinema setup. From day one I have really not liked them. They are the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn. After about 10 minutes of use I have to take them off to give my ears a break as they feel as if the headphones is doing damage somewhere.

My question is this. What would you recommend in the sub £50 bracket as a very comfy everyday use but still something that is a respectable set.

I hope you can help.
    Ta
    Jon

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Jon,

These are a Supra-Aural headphone, which means they sit "on" the ear as opposed to Circumaural which sit "around" the ear. Many people find this style uncomfortable as the headphones clamp their ears restricting blood flow and leaving a sharp prickly sensation. Not everybody finds this, some people prefer Supra-Aural as they don't like their ears to be entirely surrounded and it also makes the headphones smaller and lighter.

It seems to me that you would prefer Circumaural headphones like the Audio-Technica T44 Closed Back which are well within your budget, or you could splash out and go for the brilliant Shure SRH240 Professional which is only a little over budget but excellent value for money due to build and sound quality. Worth considering - but only if a little noise spill into the room won't matter - are the very comfy Audio-Technica ATH-AD300
    Which are Open Backed and therefore leak a bit of noise into the immediate space - the pay off for this is a bigger sense of space and a more natural airy sound.

Hope this helps soothe your ears!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. welshterrier

welshterrier New Member

Thank you Robin; I found this info very useful. But I am not only a complete newbie too but an ancient oneat that and I am not sure whether I need some special attention - in more ways than one !! You see, I am 83, have aids in both ears (but find the round the ear phones quite comfortable) have a Sony Bravia TV with CD player Sky HD+ and surround sound attached but just cannot hear things very well. Some years ago I bought a set of Sony wireless earphones - MDR-RF850R - but there is an absolutely terrible noise when I try to use them. I imagine that the time has come to replace them and I need to decide (a) whether to go for more wireless or have a wired set because I really only need to use the phones sitting about 4-5 metres from the telly (b) if I can find a reasonable kit at a price acceptable to a cash strapped OAP and (c) do I have to include a seperate portable amplifier - or is it desirable (very occasionally I try to plug in to my laptop sound)

Any advice would be much appreciated
    I imagine that

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Wireless headphone interference with hearing aids

I think there is a high risk of interference between any wireless headphone product and hearing aids.

I would suggest a headphone extension cable with a good quality pair of closed back headphones, e.g. Shure SRH-840, Ultrasone HFI-780, Audio-Technica ATH-A700 or Beyerdynamic DT770.

I'm personally a big fan of the Beyerdynamic DT770. They are super comfortable and have a big, warm sound with plenty of instrument separation.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  5. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Wireless headphone interference with hearing aids

welshterrier, I believe you just called, spoke to Jon and went for the Audio-Technica ATH-A700.

This is one of most sensitive pairs in the list above, so has the highest output volume. The A700 has a very good midrange response, which makes voices clearer and would be suitable if you have some hearing loss.