Headphone amp and dac for akg 702

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Giorgoskitieas, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Giorgoskitieas

Giorgoskitieas New Member

Hello,
    I bought a month ago the Akg 702. Am new to this subject so it would be helpful to take your advice.
    I use my headphones with ipad2 and a small amp( fiio e5). But the headphones dont sound that loud and the sound quality is dissapointing for the money spent on those headphones.
    Therefore i would like to recomend me a good headphone amp to drive those and i want to know if a dac is really needed
    Thank in advance.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Giorgoskitieas

The AKG K702 is actually really hard to drive well - only a really well chosen amp is going to help you get the best out of them. The Fiio E5 is an amazing amp for the money but not powerful enough to do your new cans justice. You need to look at the big boys and really spend some money to get the best out of your new headphones. The phrase you will likely hear from other K702 owners is that you should spend at least as much on the amp as you did on the headphones!

I Have put these in order of brightest to darkest, there are no real rules for picking an amp but obviously a brighter amp will give a brighter sound and vice versa -

Graham Slee Solo Intro Headphone Amplifier
    £369.24

Beyerdynamic A1 High-Definition Headphone Amplifier in Grey
    £849.95

Fidelity Audio HPA-200 Audiophile Headphone Amplifier (HPA200)
    £550.00

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC Upsampling Digital-To-Analogue Converter
    £399.00

Icon Audio HP8 MKII Pure Valve High End Headphone Amplifier
    £499.96

Lehmann Audio Rhinelander Headphone Amplifier in Silver
    £425.00

If you have not yet discovered the amazing Head-fi.org then I suggest you have a look - Advice on AKG K702 + amp

Hope that helps:)

3. Giorgoskitieas

Giorgoskitieas New Member

Thank you its was really helpful!
    What about a dac? Or the amp alone is fine?

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Depends on how good your source is. If you are using the iPad 90% of the time you will not really get to use a DAC so it isn't really going to help - if you switch to mostly using a PC or Macbook then it would definitely be more beneficial. The headphones and computers are capable of a lot more than internal DACs allow - there is normally quite a bit more detail to dig up. If you have friends with amps you should really try one as you will be stunned by how different these headphones sound through different amps.