Headphone Amp for Linn Classik Music - necessary?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Mr Bump, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Mr Bump

Mr Bump New Member

Hi

I have recently bought a pair of Ultrasone PRO 750 headphones along with my Grado SR80i's. I use them through a Linn Classik Music/Majik 2100 Power Amp and wondered whether I really needed a Headphone Amp?

I have been looking at the Headbox Mk II and the Creek OBH-11 but just not sure whether either of them are really necessary or will give me any significant improvement to justify the cost?

Thanks.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Mr Bump (My favourite MR.MAN!)

You don't really need an amp for either of these headphones - you might see tiny improvements with these amps but a much better amp would also see a bigger improvement. Still not worth it in my opinion. An amp should really correct a power issue, it is just a nice thing to stick in line with low impedance headphones (if you already have one) as sometimes the results are preferable like slightly wider soundstage or slightly altered top end which you prefer, or more natural or bigger bass.:)

Headbox Mk II is pretty good - If you have a nearby Hifi shop you could try any headphone amp and see what you think, if you feel there is a significant difference in a good or bad direction it might give a better clue to whether you continue along the amp path.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

BEATS droppings here

Did you ever see one of those horse carriage drivers drop markers for the cleanup people when they come around, so they know where to spray? Marking BEATS droppings here.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Ha ha! People forget this when they complain about the damage cars do - although horse manure is basically free fertiliser it is still very irritating if the street is covered in it.:)

Last edited: May 4, 2012