Headphone amp questions for HD650's

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by stevewestern, Oct 28, 2009.

1. stevewestern

stevewestern New Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Can anyone please explain what the differenence (in sound) is between the Graham Slee novo, solo intro and the MC version - I realise the latter has the linear power supply, but what difference does that make to the sound. Without wanting to query its value in any way, the cost is not insignificant, so what does it add to the listening pleasure. Headphones are the HD650's.
    Also, how about the novo with PSU - is that better than the solo without ? I know I can upgrade at a later stage, but am likely to buy once rather than uppgrade in time, or so I think at present...!
    Cheers all, and Hi -I am new here, so go easy on me..
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Hello Steve, welcome to the forum.

All of the Graham Slee amps are a good fit for the Sennheiser HD650's. These headphones really do need driving with some authority to get the best out of them and the Graham Slee mains powered amps bring the best out of them, in my opinion. The HD650 can sound a little veiled without the right amp.

The linear PSU1 basically gives cleaner mains power than the switch mode PSU supplied with the Novo and Intro Solo. My understanding is that this reduces the noise floor, giving a cleaner audio signal.

With the right setup you may be able to discern the difference. I've done some side by side tests with some very low end kit and was not able to discern the difference.

One major difference with the Solo versus the Novo is a higher power output stage, which is particularly important with headphones that require more power (e.g. HD650's, AKG K701/K702).