Headphone amp recommendation for Sennheiser Momentum

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by earheade, Jun 25, 2013.

1. earheade

earheade New Member

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum cans (which are great!) and I'm thinking of picking up a headphone amp to go with them.

I have been considering one of the Ray Samuels amps - either the P51 or the Shadow...

Mainly just running off an iPod....

Any thoughts?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Just Audio uHA-120Ds Portable Headphone Amplifier & & 24bit/96kHz DAC

I know a couple of people who've reviewed the above and highly recommend it. Ray Samuels has a great reputation, and while I haven't had one of his amps, I have a Zen Head by one of his competitors that's also a great amp, but I'm not going that route again - too hard to explain. BTW, from my experience, if the amp manufacturer does the right kind of job combining a DAC and headphone amp in a single component package, I think it's a better deal than separates because the interconnects are eliminated. Not everything else is always equal of course (if ever!), but if the designer knows his stuff, eliminating connections and reducing the signal path are very helpful in increasing signal purity.