Headphone Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Audio Sources' started by kelvinmunson, Jan 21, 2011.

1. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

I am currently using the headphone output of my Marantz PM 66SE.... which is pretty good.......... I have started looking into Headphone Amplifiers............... Is anybody here using a dedicated headphone amplifier, such as a Graham Slee, Icon Audio, Lehmann Audio etc...... anybody using a valve amplifier ?

I'd be very interested to hear your experiences, maybe comparison with the headphone-out of your integrated amplifier ?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headphone amps

I used to own a Headroom amp, and currently have a Cute Beyond by Firestone Audio. Compared to using an iPod, the amp generally extends the highs and tightens the bass, but that's when using low impedance headphones. For the Sennheiser 800 for example, the amp adds volume, since the iPod lacks volume on some tracks. All of this is relative of course, depending on these and other factors.

3. marcusd

marcusd Member

What is your headphones and music/movies of choice?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Mine have sure changed since the last post. I have the Audioengine D1 that I use mostly on the desktop computer, since it has the handy volume control knob. What I don't like about the D1 is the lack of LED's showing the current bit-rate.

I had a Headstreamer which sounded about as good, but gave it away since it duplicated the function of the D1 but lacks the convenient volume knob. I also have now the Dragonfly, but rarely use it because of having to control the sliders on the computer - not as nice as the knob on the D1. But I do carry the Dragonfly everywhere because it's very tiny. I had the iStreamer but dumped that - too many cables etc. - not convenient and didn't sound as good as the computer USB DACs.

I have the FiiO E17 and the PA2V2 amps that I run from the iPod/iPhone LOD's, and they are comparable in sound quality. I like the E17 form factor the best, and the many features that the PA2V2 doesn't have, but the PA2V2 runs 100 hours on a charge, so until I get a FiiO with a longer-lasting battery, I take the PA2V2 on trips instead.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Latest music listening:
    Jennifer Warnes - Rock You Gently (just this one track, excellent demo esp. for bass).
    Beatles and Tony Sheridan reissue (perfect example of ancient recording with great sound quality and bass detail).
    Various tracks from DownloadsNow - Cookie Marenco.
    A few XRCD's from ElusiveDisc.
    Pink Floyd SACD reissues.
    Hans Zimmer - Dark Knight Rises.
    Creedence Clearwater Revival 96k download from HDTracks.
    Spooky II by Spooky Tooth CD.
    Miles Davis.
    Le Voyage Dans La Lune by Air.
    Mahler songs Fischer-Dieskau.
    Norah Jones, Shelby Lynne.
    Peter Tosh.