headphone and headphone amp/dac for hard of hearing

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by breamas, Dec 6, 2010.

1. breamas

breamas New Member

Hi there
    I want to buy my mother, who is severely (though not completely) deaf, some kit to allow her to listen to spoken word from tv/computer/ipod etc through headphones. Obviously, the volume would need to be loud, but hopefully without distortion. She is not an audiophile and so really high end kit is not necessary. Any advice on suitable headphones, headphone amp and or DAC would be appreciated. She would probably not use her hearing aids, as they are quite distorting and rely instead on volume from the sound system. Thanks.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Breamas

Take a look at this thread

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/ask-experts/620-loud-headphones-hearing-impaired.html

I have said this before but good advice is worth repeating. Before playing loud music into a damaged ear speak to a Doctor! The ear can still be damaged further and leaving your mum with worse hearing than before would be a tragedy.

Some around the ear noise cancellers would give her good isolation and then the rest is up to her brain which is capable of concentrating on the music and perceiving it as louder over a period of time.