Headphone for office - IEM vs closed?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by thrope, Jan 7, 2011.

1. thrope

thrope New Member

Hi all,

Been enjoying the useful advice on this forum. I am looking for headphones primarily for office use. I'm more interested in comfort, isolation and lack of leakage than sound quality.

I was originally looking at IEMs and decided on the Phonak PFE 112 - but I recently spoke with a friend who is very happy with Beyer DT770 for office use. He claims he doesn't hear if someone is standing behind him.

So comparing just these two - what are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I imagine the closed cans are easier to take on and off, but would they really isolate enough for me to not be disturbed by people having a discussion literally standing right behind me (1-2 feet from my ear?)

Or is there anything else I should be thinking of around that price range.

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

They Beyerdynamic DT770 is ideal for home of office listening if there is noise to keep out. The sound isolation is REALLY good with the DT770.

The DT770's are designed as a studio headphone, where sound bleed into microphones is unacceptable. Take a look on the Radio 1 website and you'll see guests wearing them.

The Phonak PFE (with Comply Foam tips) will do a good job of keeping external noise out, but as with all in-ears they will get a little uncomfortable after hours of listening. Mind you saying that I recently did a 10 hour flight wearing them and it wasn't that bad.

3. thrope

thrope New Member

Thanks very much.

I guess I was focussed on an IEM for the isolation, but it is a lot of money to spend without being able to try one first, and I was worried that taking them in and out when someone comes to speak to me would be annoying.

It sounds like the isolation on the DT770 is good enough and it seems a safer bet in terms of comfort and slipping on and off.

Thanks again

4. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo New Member

Hi thrope,

I'm getting a set of Shure SRH840s for the office.

They're a little more expensive than the DT770s although they have a lower impedance rating. Meaning that they're a little easier to power. 80 Ohms shouldn't be too bad, but I wouldn't expect them to deliver mind-bending levels of volume and clarity. But as ShaunG said, studio quality headphones aren't meant to 'leak' any sound because they're specifically designed for 'critical listening'.

Plus, I'd recommend an amp for any 'Studio' or 'Professional' quality headphones, to really get the most out of them.

I will be listening to most of my music through my iPhone. So I'm considering buying the cheap-n-cheerful FiiO E5 for boosting my headphones on the move and the FiiO E7 for a more permanent setting - Home/Office, although it can be used on the move as it has 80~ hours of battery. It doubles up as a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) so you can use the iPhone Line Out Dock (LOD) functionality, to bypass the iPhone's audio signal processor. Plus you can also bypass the audio-output of a PC, so it serves as a high quality sound card via USB. Very nifty little bit of kit for a reasonable price.

Cheers,
    Jamie.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  5. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

The Shure's are more geared towards the bass-heads amongst us, but they're a great set of cans. They're a real treat, even more-so after you've burned them in for atleast 100hours. I've recently got a pair of DT770s yesterday from the guys here, and its being burned-in as we speak. The beyers themselves have a completely different sound signature, and whilst the bass is noticeable, its not over-powering like in the Shures (Just how I like it :p), rather the sound clarity is impeccable and you are able to pick out details that you wouldnt normally be able to hear. So depending on music you like, would pretty much establish what set you go for.

Either way, you need an amp to really get the best out of either these two cans. I've not tried any of the FiiO range, so your best asking some of the guys on here ;)

6. thrope

thrope New Member

I didn't end up getting these last year due to a change in work situation but just about to update the wifes Christmas list for me this year and so its back on the cards!

Just thought I'd bump this to see if anythings changed since last year... question is the same, for open/shared office use (in quite a talky environment, people aren't shy about having discussions) in ear (Phonak Audeo) vs closed back (Beyer DT770)?

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

8. hector361

hector361 New Member

If it helps you concentrate better then use headphones (better than office noise I think). I like using bluetooth so I don't get tangled in wires.

Headphones For Work

9. UndefinedMemory

UndefinedMemory New Member

I personally recommend staying away from the Phonak's. They get great reviews for their sound quality - and if you can get the right fit in your ears (and get them to stay there!) they do sound good - but they are NOT built to last. I had a pair for less than a month when the right ear stopped producing noise properly. I contacted Phonak's customer support and was never able to get a response.

I expected considerably more for £90. Switched immediately back to on ear closed headphones and am now extremely happy with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350, though these are pricier than the DT770.

What music do you listen to usually? And how loud do you like having it? Cause both of those really make a difference on the recommendation.

10. RobinHiFi

I really like the Phonaks!

UndefinedMemory, it sounds like you might have had a filter problem? This is easily solved, I could help if you contact me at the shop email address. You should buy all your stuff from Hifi Headphones - problems sorted right away:D

11. UndefinedMemory

UndefinedMemory New Member

Ah ok. I asked that question of their customer support and no one ever got back in touch. I wasn't interested in buying a bunch of filters on the off chance that was the problem. Still, if that is the case, that's a very short lifespan for those! Definitely don't expect headphones to have that kind of upkeep cost.

I should have them around someplace still so I'll have a look for them and maybe pick up some filters. Thanks!

12. RobinHiFi

Sometimes the filters get clogged with fluff or ear goo. The filters have such a tight weave it stops the sound getting through without much stuff getting on there :( Some people have successfully cleaned them (take them out, pop into soapy warm water for a few mins and the dry them somewhere warm) or just removed them to test that the earphones still work ok. Filters will drop to a much lower price this year, so I would wait a bit if you have to buy new ones.

13. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member