Headphone jack vs Phono

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Tim123, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Tim123

Tim123 New Member

Hi,

another question - most headphones connect via a 3.5mm (or larger) jack into the headphone socket, but my TV doesn't have a headphone socket - I have to turn on my AV amp and plug in there. I'm looking at buying a wireless headphone system and wondered if that might help.

Does anyone know if I can plug a wireless headphone system into the phono (line out) connectors on the back of the TV, using a simple adaptor cable, or would I need some sort of pre-amp ? As it's going to be a wireless system I thought it might be OK as I wouldn't be driving the speakers directly.

Any ideas ? I'm happy to knock up a cable myself but I don't know if I would need to match impedences or anything ?

Thanks in advance

Tim

2. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

Hi, you shouldn't have a problem as wireless headphone sets normally come with a lead to plug directly into your TV audio-out (line out) phono sockets.

No need to worry about input levels or impedance matching, plug it in and away you go.

3. Tim123

Tim123 New Member

Thanks - I'll give it a try then

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Tim,

The older Sennheiser RS110, 120, 130 and 140 did not have the Phono connection in the box. If you get one of these from our site let me know as we have an adaptor which solves this:)