Headphone newbie

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by TheUdoon, Aug 21, 2013.

1. TheUdoon

TheUdoon New Member

New member here, just asking quick question :) I am currently in the market for some new headphones, it doesn't need to be super fancy.

I am currently using some Audio Technica ATH-WS55i but they are on their last legs after less than a year, the stuffing on the top part of the headband is escaping on one side and there is an issue with the cable that makes the sound break up badly if the cable is not at a certain angle from my ipod.

I will be using the headphones mostly when I commute, a few hours per day, I listen to a decent mix of music, no rap or anything though, but some rock. What I am looking for:

Sturdy cable, preferably non-tangle would be good
    Volumecontrol etc on the cable
    Swivelable ear bits like my current ones so they can fold flat
    Keep outside noise out decently
    Sturdy, I'll be tossing it in my bag quite a lot

Doesn't need to have all of those things but would really love it if there was some in my price range. I like the sound in the ones I have now, but I would like it to be a bit heavier/richer sometimes. I'd rather not spend more than 150£, and I'd prefer not in-ear ones, all the ones I've ever tried either falls out or is just plain painful for me to wear.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Here's my recommendation, and I bought mine at this link, shipped to the USA believe it or not. The Momentum On-Ear has to be the most comfortable headphone ever. The sound is lush, to use a one-word description.

Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Closed Back Headphones Ivory

3. TheUdoon

TheUdoon New Member

I've been thinking a bit about in ear ones, I've only really tried cheaper ones, and some Koss ones, would it make a difference if they were some better ones? After a bit of browsing I am tempted by the portability and the ability to wear a hat during my wintertime commute :p

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I have a £600 Sennheiser earphone and don't use it for the very reasons in your previous email. Maybe you should trust your instincts.

5. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi TheUdoon,

I think the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear is would be a great choice - They are perfect for using on the go and they sound great! If you want to go the in-ear route then having volume controls really narrows your options. It could even be worth going for a pair of SoundMAGIC E10Ms - They really are impressive!

6. TheUdoon

TheUdoon New Member

I was looking at the soundmagic ones while browsing, thinking about maybe giving them a try, only thing keeping me atm is that I've read lots of reviews on amazon and such that they don't last very long. If nothing else it would be nice to have the option and then still get the sennheisers once I get paid, really don't want to be stranded with no headphones, I couldn't stand my commute without any music :p

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

A big thumbs-up on the Momentum On Ear - I just got mine from here, and it's very, very enjoyable. Not to mention dazzling good looks and high quality build.

8. TheUdoon

TheUdoon New Member

it looks like the Sennheisers are the way to go, I looked a bit more at it and the detachable cable has mostly cinched it for me, since it is the cable that has failed on every type of headphone I've ever had. Now I just need to hold out for payday!

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

BTW, the Momentum On-Ear comes with 2 cables, so if one ever breaks you can use the other one until the replacement arrives.