Headphone recommendation?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Roscoe62, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Roscoe62

Roscoe62 New Member

Hi,

I currently use a set of Sennheiser CX300II in-ears. I quite like the sound but I've grown weary of the microphonic cable noise, tangling cables, and the lack of good sound isolation - and have decided to try a pair of headphones instead. I do like good bass, but not overblown or bloated.

I will have to travel with the headphones (daily commute) but I don't specifically want travel headphones per se - if everything else works on the headphones and they sound great then I could deal with them being a bit larger than travel headphones (just not TOO big).

I don't like to disturb those around me so I think probably a closed back design would work best. I listen to a wide variety of music - rock, jazz, acoustic, dance and my primary playback device is my iphone5. I rip my own CDs using EAC and store then on our server in FLAC but, for my phone I'll convert them down to a 320kbp mp3.

Budget is maybe 150 pound but for something reeeaally good I could stretch a bit higher.

Thanks for any/all recommendations! :)

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I had additional questions from private messages that belong here, so I don't have to repeat the answers for several users.

The first question was which is best (HP100 or 8.35D) for different types of music?

The HP100 would usually be better for classical, vocal, jazz, acoustic etc. The 8.35D would be better for metal, industrial, techno, dubstep etc.

The second question was about comfort. The 8.35D was easy for me to adjust to, but it's more of a monitor class headphone, and not designed for extreme comfort. The HP100 is designed for very high comfort. But, the 8.35D is built to last forever - very rugged.

4. Roscoe62

Roscoe62 New Member

Thanks very much Dale! I will check out some reviews on these 2 headphones! :)