Headphone Search - £100ish - DT770 Pro's? - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by chivs688, May 6, 2011.

1. chivs688

chivs688 New Member

I am looking into buying a nice pair of great quality headphones to wear generally and on long train journeys for instance.

I have been looking at the Beyerdynamic 770 Pro's, and have seen many outstanding reviews of them.

Now, these are about £130 right now, which is a lot to pay for a pair of headphones for me.

So I was wondering, are there any similar headphones that offer the same/very close to the same sound quality and comfort that these offer, at maybe a cheaper price?

Basically, looking for the best value for money, cheaper the better (under £100 would be brilliant), while keeping the quality of a high standard.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi chivs688

My advice if you really like this headphone is to save up and buy it - They are hand made in Germany and if they were not so popular in pro audio they would cost the same as the premium Beyer products (hand made in exactly the same way but smaller numbers) at around £200. The Beyer Pro headphones are amazing value for money, buying something cheaper will give a big drop in quality.

I'm not saying don't buy anything cheaper but just don't expect to find Broadcast quality hand made German technology used as standard by the BBC, the Film industry and DOLBY etc.

Remember DT770's have a habit of lasting 10 to 20 years so they are exceptional value. Whilst there are great headphones for under £100 they are always going to be lesser quality in build and sound than these Pro aimed but relatively inexpensive cans.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £124.96

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)
    £129.96

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95

If you want some recommendations for under £100 let me know, I feel that if you would really like the Beyers you will regret buying something else when the difference was so small but let me know:)